Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Masked vette

blockhead

Have been thinking of purchasing a mask for the nose of my 93 vert to protect from chips and whatever. The guy I bought the car from told me that it did have one but he took it off and threw it away because it caused more harm than good. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this subject?

I never owned a Bra for any car because I would have to agree with the person that sold you the car. Bras will protect the paint under the bra while the sun does it's work on the rest of the car, so when you pull the bra off a year later the paint no longer matches. Also the wind will cause the lip of the bra to vibrate and over time wear through the clearcoat and paint. Just my opinion

Greg

Over time, dirt gets stuck under the mask and rubs into the paint, creating rub marks. So it's either rock chips or rub marks. The mask looks cool, though.

Clear Bra

I have had pretty good luck on my 2001 Dakota and a 2000 VW Beetle with a transparent stick on mask or clear bra. The VW origianlly came with a product form a company called Ricochet. It yellowed terribly. I was forced into a curb in the VW and had to have body work done on the front of the car. 3M covered the replacement of the film. Richochet was out of business. I haven't put it on the Vette becuase the road chips are already there! If I ever paint it I would use the clear bra. Anybody else out there use this on their Vette?

I purchased a bra for my '93 from Mid-America. Over 6 months later, its still in the box it came to my house in--why? Much to my chagrin, I discovered that I'd have to attached this thing to the Vette's front end by removing the wheel-well screws and I'm sorry but its just to much friggin trouble. See my avatar? My Vette's a bright blue and dirt show's easily on it. So, that would mean the removal of the bra just to wash the car. Not to mention that over time there's the very real possibility of paint fade, scratches from grit caught under the bra rubbin into the paint....
Maybe one day I'll get around to it, but for right now..., it'll sit in the box.
:w

Same for me...it was such a hassle to attempt to install it with the crappy velcro and such...I was better off just leaving it off.....feel your pain

I have never had any problem with any bra. I have had em on other vehicles I have own. Of course the ones I bought I made sure it was a known brand which are quality made. I always wax the car before I put them on and never run with one in the rain.

I think this is something you use temporarily, you don't leave it on there permanently because you can get dirt and stuff in there, the paint will not match, etc... I would use it for something like a long road trip for a little front nose protection but not for everyday use.

I do plan on getting one myself this summer. I'm going to get a black one to contrast the white of the car.

I run bras on all my cars in the spring.... that's when the most debris is out there waiting to get your paint. I make sure to get one that just clips on to the hood. When it rains, I just pop the hood and pull it off.

If you are looking for something to protect your paint but don't want to risk the fading, rubbing, whatever... there are companies that make clear decal type bras. They go on like a decal and are semi permanent. They do not damage the paint, are clear and allow the sun to evenly bake your paint, and since they are adheared to your clear coat... there is no flapping to worry about or debris to get caught underneath. I'm sure Mid America and all them sell this stuff.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom