Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Matching Numbers Question

brian7836

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige
I have heard the term "matching numbers". I recently bought a 1980 Vette. How can I tell if i have matching
numbers? Where are they located?
Thanks----Brian

Welcome to the forum.

Matching numbers refers to the originiality of the vehicle and the originiality of the vehicle adds to its value from a collector's point of view. Most often matching numbers refer to the numbers on the engine, transmission, and rear end the drive train of the vehicle. All of these parts have the vin number(last 6 or 7 digits)stamped on the parts along with codes that advise what the original equipment on the vehicle was. Most of the major components on the car have casting dates which need to be consistant with the build date of the vehicle.E.G. if you determine that the build date of your car is 1/1/80 then the intake manifold that you have which has a casting date of 2/28/80 is not original to the car. You can locate a used intake manifold with a date up to 6 months prior to the build date install it and you would have a numbers matching manifold even if it was not really original. It just looks original.

Matching numbers is used very often to just refer to the drive train but in reality it should be used for the whole vehicle. It is like saying that this car is original as it came from the factory. The engine numbers appear on a pad in front of the passenger side valve covers and will tell you if the engine is original if the vin matches and what the transmission type was by the code numbers shown in front of the vin(vehicle identification number-serial number).

If you are really curious I would suggest you go to the NCRS(National Corvette Restorers Society) web site and order some books. There is a whole industry of books and parts suppliers that cater to people who want to make their vehicles as original as possible.

Check the archives here for more info this topic comes up all the time.

The term "matching numbers" is often misused, when applying it to Corvettes. There are just 3 items that "match" the VIN of the car. The engine , (vin located on front of engine pad), the transmission (manual type) stamped on side of case, and the frame (stamped on top passenger side). All other components have casting #'s and casting dates that coincide with the body build date of the car within a reasonable time frame prior to its completed assembly. This was the method used for the mid years and early sharks, not sure if it continued well into the C4 & C5 generations.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom