Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maximum Cargo Weight for a C5

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
My weight, along with my son's combined, exceeds the maximum weight posted on the inside of the driver's side door. I mentioned my concerns to the dealer when I bought the car and he said that Chevrolet posts a weight that's too low and there shouldn't be any problems. The manual does mention possible problems from overloading. My son doesn't usually ride with me but I'm still concerned for the health of my C5.

Does anyone have any horror stories from overloading their Vette? :confused

I am curious- What is the weight limit? My son and I would add up to 500 pounds....

DRTH VTR said:
I am curious- What is the weight limit? My son and I would add up to 500 pounds....

I was curious too, so I just checked. My sticker says Vehicle Weight Capacity: 399 lbs.

How can that be right.

I weigh in at 275 all by myself (it just looks like there are two people inside my skin)!

I suspect some of that has to do with the vehicle test weight used in fuel economy tests etc. ???

Is the "Cargo" weight referring to stuff you can put in the back instead of stuffing yourself in the seats?

I'll consult my manual again but I remember that cargo weight was - passengers and cargo combined. I think my sticker is 398 lbs. I'll double check the sticker and manual tonight when I get home and write back. I'll also check the cargo limit on my wife's Windstar for comparison. And just to let you know, I'm 6'0" and weigh 230 and my 16-year-old future football player is 6'4" and 304 lbs. You should see my food bill. When we're both in the car there is plenty of power but turns and stopping are tough.

Checked my manual and it says that "parts on the vehicle may break." Does anyone have any experience with any broken parts from overloading. 400 lbs. max doesn't sound right to me.

Interestinly, this payload weight issue is something rarely discussed by Chevrolet and GM.

I asked GM what the payload weight for C6 was and I was told.
" Total recommended payload (people & cargo combined) is 423 pounds."

No doubt, on my trip across country in a C5 in April I had that baby overloaded by quite a bit and, some of the trips I've taken in my C4, if it's payload rating is similar, have been wayyyy overloaded.

Hey Hib,

Thanks for contacting GM. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I think there are quite a few of us out there overloading our Corvettes. To me, 400 lbs. doesn't sound like a lot of weight.

Steve

MM-C5 said:
I was curious too, so I just checked. My sticker says Vehicle Weight Capacity: 399 lbs.

How can that be right.
I think you may find it has to do with the weight class the vehicle is claimed for government standards. Class 1 is 3700 pounds or less.

If a car weighs 3275 curb weight and to keep it as a class one, 425lbs. would be the suggested max payload. Any more payload claimed and the car would need to be classified a class 2.

My sis 'n law and I

combined we weigh in at 550 (for the record I'm NOT the heavier of the two) and when my wife wants me to take her somewhere, the sound coming back up my driveway is not a healthy one.

So, for a C5, it is 400 and the C6 (per Hib) is 423. I guess I need to lose some weight myself to keep my family together.

vv

Vette Virgin said:
combined we weigh in at 550 (for the record I'm NOT the heavier of the two)
:eek yipes !

Okay, here's where I get myself into a little bit of trouble...

When I got my first Vette, a 91 Coupe, I used it as motivation to get and stay in shape. I wanted to feel like I fit the car perfectly. Now that I have the Z06, its even more of a motivation. The darn thing turns a lot more female heads than I do when I go down the street without the car.

So, based upon my incentive-based desire to remain in shape, I am 183 lbs at 6'-0". And I do my best to avoid dating women who weigh more than about 120-130. I never give cargo capacity a second thought.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Kelly LeBrock, "Don't hate me because I'm studly." :D (Only kidding! Sheesh, I said was going to get myself into trouble with this response. Tammy... send me to the garage as punishment. :L )

-Patrick

no body told me I needed to know math and to lose weight to own a vette damn it!!! hehehe

I guess the next question is how much does gas weigh per gallon? We can then adjust the amount we fill the tank to so we don't go over the limit. ;shrug

C4 Fan said:
I guess the next question is how much does gas weigh per gallon? We can then adjust the amount we fill the tank to so we don't go over the limit. ;shrug
;LOL ;LOL

Gasoline weighs approximately 5.67 #/gal to 6.17 #/gal. At an average of 5.92 #/gal, that’s about 109.52 # of gas on a full tank.

At some point we may just have to park these things and drive a SUV with bumper sticker that says. “My other car is a Corvette…I just can’t drive it.”

The good news is that if a full tank weighs 109 lbs, and a Big Mac, fries and Coke weighs about a pound, then theoretically - and depending on individual mileage - either the driver, passenger, or both could do some serious snacking as long as the car keeps moving. ;LOL

:Steer :Steer

So now the :w really stands for: "Keep It Moving!"

Tom

CORed91 said:
To paraphrase the immortal words of Kelly LeBrock, "Don't hate me because I'm studly." :D (Only kidding! Sheesh, I said was going to get myself into trouble with this response. Tammy... send me to the garage as punishment. :L )

-Patrick
That's not punishment! :L

MM-C5 said:
Gasoline weighs approximately 5.67 #/gal to 6.17 #/gal. At an average of 5.92 #/gal, that’s about 109.52 # of gas on a full tank.
Tom
I've always needed justification for not keeping a full tank all the time. Thanks :D

MsSchroder said:
I've always needed justification for not keeping a full tank all the time. Thanks :D
I don't ever put more than ten dollars of gas in (now reduced to 4.5 gallons). When the C4 was my primary car it's felt weird when it had a lot of gas in it. Just continued the same habit. Now that the C5 gas mileage is better than my C4, ten bucks seems like a full tank. I don't think my C4 saw a day over 10 mpg. And I average 17 in the C5 in the city.

Richard.

C5Richard said:
I don't ever put more than ten dollars of gas in (now reduced to 4.5 gallons). When the C4 was my primary car it's felt weird when it had a lot of gas in it. Just continued the same habit. Now that the C5 gas mileage is better than my C4, ten bucks seems like a full tank. I don't think my C4 saw a day over 10 mpg. And I average 17 in the C5 in the city.

Richard.
Yeah, but that gasoline also acts as a coolant for the fuel pump......which is why I try not to go much below half a tank on anything I drive. I don't like fuel pump failures.

What would account for such a wide range in the weight of a gallon of gas, anyway? :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom