Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

May-day Mayday....LT1 Serpentine

I have wanted to do some mods, but only a K&N and the cat-back. I figure it helps me at this point because they can not say that a modification caused the problem.

About the Balencer...

If those boys tried to pry off the balancer, could they have bent the "ears" on the center hub? I just pulled my balancer to change the opti. There are three bolts that hold the balancer (surp. belt pully) onto a center hub. The center hub is then mounted onto the crank snout. If they pull the three bolts and not the center bolt they conceivably could have pulled hard enough to bend the "ears" on the center hub. If they mounted a pully correctly the "ears" would bend all at the same time thus making your balencer off center but not bent.

The hub and balencer do separate but, like mine, was/is probably rusted together.

Anyway food for thought....my 2 cents.

The hub was checked and machined. It runs true. It was slightly off, but since they had it apart, it was machined.

Ok, so the update from the Chevy Dealer on Friday:

I got my vette back with a new belt and tensioner. The thought/theory from them was that the pulley had irregular wear on it. Specifically, the next to last (toward the block) ridge was higher than the ridges to the front of the car. This was causing the belt to want to ride up and towards the block. This shift effect was delivered to the balancer/main pulley and that is why it was jumping there first.

So far the belt has not jumped. I figure that if it can last the week, I will be almost home free. (Murphey's law?)

And yes, it was done free of charge. The Service Manager from the dealership that started all of this was at the dealership that was doing this last round of repairs (They are owned by the same guy.) He wrote on the bill to charge to his dealership location. I said thank you and that it was appreciated.

-Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom