Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

May purchase a 1990 zr1

GRAND SPORT #12

Corvette
1996 GRAND SPORT #12
This saturday i am looking at buying a 1990 zr1 with 37k miles. I do not know much of these cars and if it runs fine what are problem areas i can expect to may have to spend in the future.. thankyou. a few months ago i looked at a 1992 zr1 but when i drove could not tell a difference in power from normal to full did posted that thread. that zr1 felt slower than my grand sport so i did not purchase that one was afraid of whay i may have gotten myself into. So this 1990 one i am looking at has less miles hopefully all will check out. Thanks for any info to help with this purchase..

This saturday i am looking at buying a 1990 zr1 with 37k miles. I do not know much of these cars and if it runs fine what are problem areas i can expect to may have to spend in the future.. thankyou. a few months ago i looked at a 1992 zr1 but when i drove could not tell a difference in power from normal to full did posted that thread. that zr1 felt slower than my grand sport so i did not purchase that one was afraid of whay i may have gotten myself into. So this 1990 one i am looking at has less miles hopefully all will check out. Thanks for any info to help with this purchase..

Check out www.zr1.net

It will need new fuel injectors (16) if it doesn't already have them. Check if the adjustable shocks work, they can be overhauled by bilsten now at reasonable prices. The website above has lots of info.

A stock LT-4 and stock ZR-1 are pretty similar in performance.

I'd look for a ZR-1 with some light mods, like an aftermaket exhaust, intake porting, etc. The LT-5 has a lot of power potential.

Scott

I figured the two cars would be similar in performace, but that 1991 i drove had something wrong with it felt like a L98. I hope this car does better looked at it yesterday will drive it tomorrow or saturday. What are the obvious signs of bad injectors i guess it would be a miss or i may get lucky they are good and will give me a month or so to collect funds. Most injectors i have looked at go for around 350 to 400 for a set of eight and i think you need to get primary and secondary ones for a total of 16

I figured the two cars would be similar in performace, but that 1991 i drove had something wrong with it felt like a L98. I hope this car does better looked at it yesterday will drive it tomorrow or saturday. What are the obvious signs of bad injectors i guess it would be a miss or i may get lucky they are good and will give me a month or so to collect funds. Most injectors i have looked at go for around 350 to 400 for a set of eight and i think you need to get primary and secondary ones for a total of 16

The ZR-1's have a 'power switch' on the console which turns off half the injectors, basically giving it the same power as the L98. Maybe the 91 you drove was not switched on to all 16?

If it has the original injectors then they will need to be replaced at some point. Some say it's the ethanol in the gas these days, but whatever it is they will die.

There is a simple ohm check you can do. Unplug them and check the resistance across the two pins on the injector. I think 16 ohms is what they should be, but if it still has the original injectors price in replacing all of them.

You can get modern remanufactured injectors a lot cheaper than new which is what a lot of people do and what I run in my L-98. They went to a new injector design around 1993.

Scott

Here is a small list of things to look for on a 90. Oil leaks at oil cooler lines, cam sensors, headstud bolts and loose or missing oil pan bolts. Check what color the antifreeze is,should be green not pink. Pink can causes head gasket problems. All of these oil leaks and changing antifreeze are simple fixes. Prior to starting the car turn the ignition switch to the on position and listen to see if the vacum pump cycles on then stays off. Should build vacum and then stay off. if pump keeps cycling there is a vacum leak and you may need to pull the plenum to chase it down. This is were the headaches in most peoples minds are with the zr1. If this car drives like the other car you test drove then somthing was wrong because my stock 90 will out perform most stock c4's. Make sure to drive the car in both reg power and full...Enjoy I hope things work out on your purchase.:beer

.....and.. we're all eager for your wide grinning face to reappear! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom