Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maybe, just maybe.....

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
......There's a C5 in my very near future. I stopped at my local dealer looking at a couple of C5 verts and a Torch Red coupe caught my eye. Whose eye wouldn't Torch red catch! I went back yesterday to see it in the day light, and am really hooked on it. It has all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure about which suspension package it may have though.
The car is an '03 with 8200 miles most every option as I can tell except for the dual roof panels, it only has the glass panel. So far from what I see, I really like the car, and it runs well also.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Are the brake pedals in all C5's that aluminum racing type?? I've never noticed that before.

2. Would it be a good idea to run a CarFax on it. I've heard CarFax isn't all that great.

Any comments from my fellow forum members are always appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Chris

Yes all of the C5's have aluminum racing type pedals. CarFax just advertised that they bought back their first car and it happened to be a C5, but I have never used them. I think it had been in a flood. One other thing if you were looking for a vert, why are you considering a coupe? Wait to get what you want. Bill

Chrisr said:
......There's a C5 in my very near future. I stopped at my local dealer looking at a couple of C5 verts and a Torch Red coupe caught my eye. Whose eye wouldn't Torch red catch! I went back yesterday to see it in the day light, and am really hooked on it. It has all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure about which suspension package it may have though.
The car is an '03 with 8200 miles most every option as I can tell except for the dual roof panels, it only has the glass panel. So far from what I see, I really like the car, and it runs well also.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Are the brake pedals in all C5's that aluminum racing type?? I've never noticed that before.

2. Would it be a good idea to run a CarFax on it. I've heard CarFax isn't all that great.

Any comments from my fellow forum members are always appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Chris
Interesting. I've never heard of problems with CarFax until this post, but what do I know?
If I were making a $30K plus investment though, it seems like $20.00 well spent. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It sounds like a beautiful car, and I know you can't wait to have one. I remember that feeling....it was with me for 46 years!

-John

Lucky 3 said:
One other thing if you were looking for a vert, why are you considering a coupe? Wait to get what you want. Bill

Well, a vert would be a plus, but red was my first choice in color. And seing there isn't too many good condition verts in my area, I got hooked on this coupe. The ones tat are in great shape, are out of my price range, whereas a coupe falls right in to it.
Plus, with the targa top, it's just as good as a vert to me. Another factor for me is my family spends most of the summer at the Jersey shore, and I commute there on weekends. A coupe gives me a little extra room to pack things too.

Chrisr said:
Well, a vert would be a plus, but red was my first choice in color. And seing there isn't too many good condition verts in my area, I got hooked on this coupe. The ones tat are in great shape, are out of my price range, whereas a coupe falls right in to it.
Plus, with the targa top, it's just as good as a vert to me. Another factor for me is my family spends most of the summer at the Jersey shore, and I commute there on weekends. A coupe gives me a little extra room to pack things too.

The Coupe is more practical for traveling and every day use you can fit quite a bit back there, I think they look better then the verts also. Torch Red is a sharp color, I was not sure I was going to like it, but I really do.

Simple..........
1. Don't look for one in your area. (A ticket to fly and a drive home could be a blast!
2. Get a red vert.

Problem solved.......:beer:w:w:_rock

warren s said:
Check out Classic Chevrolet in Moorestown NJ. I bought my coupe there and I feel I got a very good deal. They have a few Toprch Red C5s.

Thats where the car is!!!!!! :L

They gave me a very good price on my 1995 copue as a trade in, 1000s more than the dealers around my area (northern New Jersey and New York)

They also gave me a fair deal on the C5. The salesman (James Woods) didnt break my ba--s at all, just asked me if i knew my way around, handed me the keys and said we can talk if i like the car.

I never intended to actually buy a car that day, but when they gave me what i wanted for my C4, and a good price on the C5 it was a done deal.

Thanks for the info, Warren! I've been talking to Bill Shaw. He's fairly new there, but seems to know his way around Corvettes. I purchased my 1st vette there in 1983. It was a 1980, black with oyster interior and 2880 miles!!! I sold it 6 years later with 19,000 miles and everything was still original!!!! (Except the oil!:L ) At the time, I was really impressed with the service department and how they treated me and the car. Very professional
Ayway, I'm going back one day this week and taking it for a nice test ride. If it's as nice as I think it is, I'll start talking deal!!

Car Fax Reliability

As most auto buyers are aware when utilizing Car Fax for information concerning a prospective purchase: Car Fax information for reporting condition of autos is only as reliable as the data that Car Fax receives from sources that relate to the specific vehicle. If a vehicle has been in an accident, for example, but the accident was not reported to an insurance company or other source which would deal with the accident, then there is no available data for Car Fax to collect and to dissiminate to the inquiry from the prospective buyer. This doesn't mean that Car Fax is not worthwhile; simply stated, it means that Car Fax reporting has limitations. An alternative,or additional, information gathering procedure might involve having a Chevy dealership run the VIN for you and give you a printout of the service record of the car you are thinking about. Also, don't overlook a member of the local Corvette club who really knows the C5. They can be a wealth of information and know the "right questions" to ask. Best of luck with your purchase !

Ron

If you are buying from a dealer you should get some kind of warrenty. My car came with 3 months 3000 miles. Its doubtfull that any issue relative to the cars past will not surface in that time.

Also just becaue a car was in an accident doesnt make it a bad car.

Ron - Thanks for clearing up the Car Fax for me. Now I understand how that works. I'm definetly running a Car Fax on it. The members are right, I can't go wrong for 20 bucks. And having the VIN run for service records is a great idea too. I wouldn't have thought about that.

Warren - I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress with the car. The car has the remainder of the 3yr factory warranty on it. I may purchase an extended warranty for the peace of mind.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!

Convertible or Coupe

Cruzer82 got it right.... Buy a vert..I made this mistake on my first vette. I was looking for one, and couldnt seem to find the right one for my budget {searching fairly local}. So while looking of course I was exsposed to many options in the coupe catagory that were on or under the budget. I think that the longer you look at a vette thats for sale and start envisioning it in your driveway, while sitting in that beautiful cockpit, hearing it purrr... its very easy to "Fall In Love". thus making the wrong decision. I say this because on my second time around I knew what I wanted and for how much. Its much easier to find what your looking for when you broaden your seach. I found my baby on corvettetrader.com, I flew from Boston to Detroit And drove back 1000 of the sweetest miles ive ever driven, unfortunate for me, the car only had 5400 pampered miles, but hell thats what I bought it for "driving" Enjoy the ride...

Well, I finally got around to running a CarFax report on the car. It came back clean!!!! No problems reported and service records seem good.

I'm going back to the dealer tonight to wheel and deal. I have 1 question though. CarFax states that there is approximatley 11 months or 28,000 miles until the factory warranty runs out.

Would it be feasible to get an extended warranty, or is the above metioned mileage/time period sufficent enough for any problems to show without getting the extended warranty.

As always, your comments/advice are well appreciated by this "Newbie"!!!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

I think the remaining warrenty is fine. My feeling is that if there is anything wrong with the car it will most likely surface before the remaining time runs out.

The extended insurance dealers sell can be very mis-leading as to what is covered.

Chris,
I've always understood that you could purchase an extended warranty plan at any point in time up to where the factory warranty expires. I think any significant issues are likely to manifest themselves within six to eight months of normal driving.

Good luck, and keep us posted how the sale goes!
-Patrick

Warren, I was thinking along those same lines with the remaining warranty. I think the money I save by not buying the extended warranty would be better suited on a car cover and other goodies for the vette!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom