Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maybe YOU can help me out...

themoj0

Corvette
2008 Convertible
Hope everyone's new year is starting off on the right foot.

So i posed this question on another forum, but all I got was crickets.

I did "sort of" figure it out, but not all of the way.

Right about the time im hitting 60-70 mph, there is a loud humming vibration coming from the front windshield area.
At first it sounded like it was coming from where the ragtop meets the windshield...
But i had my son in the car the other day, and he was able to lean up and really listen. He said it was coming from the bottom of the windshield area...passenger side.
So, for poop and giggles, i turned on the windshield wipers..and sure enough...as the wipers went up, the vibration went away. as they came back down, you can hear it very briefly and lightly, but then its gone again when they go up.
Turn off the wipers, and as they settle back down, the vibration starts back up.
SOooooo is it a bad arm? or maybe just a new blade? Its very loud and obnoxious.
Thanks!

EDIT- 2008 C6 Convertible

Hope everyone's new year is starting off on the right foot.

So i posed this question on another forum, but all I got was crickets.

I did "sort of" figure it out, but not all of the way.

Right about the time im hitting 60-70 mph, there is a loud humming vibration coming from the front windshield area.
At first it sounded like it was coming from where the ragtop meets the windshield...
But i had my son in the car the other day, and he was able to lean up and really listen. He said it was coming from the bottom of the windshield area...passenger side.
So, for poop and giggles, i turned on the windshield wipers..and sure enough...as the wipers went up, the vibration went away. as they came back down, you can hear it very briefly and lightly, but then its gone again when they go up.
Turn off the wipers, and as they settle back down, the vibration starts back up.
SOooooo is it a bad arm? or maybe just a new blade? Its very loud and obnoxious.
Thanks!

EDIT- 2008 C6 Convertible

It's probably the blade, try that first on both sides.

Here is exactly what your problem is. My C6 exhibited the same problem a couple of years ago. I noticed the strange humming vibration only when traveling over 60mph into a head wind. Traveling with the wind at the same speed there was no hum. So I figured it was wind related. Sure enough I looked at the plastic cover running across the bottom of the window, just behind the wipers. I noticed that the passenger side one was cracked a small amount longitudinally. I reasoned that wind flowing over it was causing it to buffet. To test the theory I applied a piece of duct tape (I know, but it was just a test) and took it for a drive out on the interstate, first into the wind and then with the wind. Voila! No more buzzing/humming. I removed the tape and tacked the plastic strip down where it was cracked with black silicone. To this day it is quiet. I'll bet you a beer this is your problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom