Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation....HELP!

The only way I dould see the rod getting stuck is if there was some buildup on the rod and now it has moved far enough up or down that the buildup is now in the bore for the rod. If this is true, maybe you could use some penetrating oil to free it up. Let it soak in for a day or two.

If you lifted the engine (remove engine mount bolts) could you get better access to grip that rod and pull it out?

The only other thing I could think of is to put heat on the block (small propane torch maybe), though that might not be feasible due to not enough room and the fuel line being right there.

Last possibility would be to try and grind a couple flat spots on the side of the rod to give vice grips or a wrench a chance to turn it.

It is rather odd that the rod does not hit the cam at all. Seems like it is stuck low in the bore, not high.

I had a friend come over that is a little more knowledgeable then me and he was able to get it out. We had to go through one of the valley openings in the block, and turn the came so that the lobe was away from the rod.

Once we did that, we were able to see the top of the rod, and with a screwdriver and a hammer, we knocked it out. Accidentally we put a burr in the top of the bore that catches the new rod ever so slightly. Well today we are going to get an extended shank carbide burr to take care of that.

Craig

It was bent :mad From what he told me it was a lightweight rod which means it was basically a tube with hardened pressed on ends.

We replaced with an autozone part, and you can really tell the difference.

Well it looks as if the fuel pump pushrod was the least of my problems. Got the motor put back together, and started the car up. Let it run, which was about 5 minutes until the noise of death. Shut the motor down right away.

The just of the story is that the Cam broke!!!! :mad

Can my luck get any worse :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom