Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Michelin or GoodYears.

KingCorvette

Corvette
Ok if it came down to 2 choices which would you pick,
Michelin or GoodYear for tires? And why?

Goodyears and cost.
I was quoted $634 ea for PS2's yesterday @ Costco. (325/30-19):eek:hnoes

I'm partial to Goodyear but I also like Michelin, so the answer depends on what you want and how you drive.

The OEM Goodyear (F1 GS-2 EMT) is a good all around tire and the prices on tirerack.com are decent.
Michelin has teh PS A/S ZP (run-flat) that would be another good all around tire and the prices on tirerack.com are comparable to the GY above. This is a new tire only recently made available in the C6 stardard sizes.

Either would be a good choice.

If the Goodyear F1 GS D3 were available in C6 sizes (not sure), I'd recommend that tire.

Having just spent 8 plus hours yesterday assisting the Michelin folks at the 50th Anniversary of the National Council Of Corvette Clubs event in Colorado Springs, I definitely would purchase the Michelins over the GY. The Michelin folks had two Z06s from Spring Mountain mounted with the Michelin Pilot ZP on the number 21 car and the P2Cups (non run flats) on the number 26 car. Both tires were great, but the 26 car held the track much better according to all drivers. No cost to the participants, all they had to do is sign up to run the autocross circuit set up at the World Arena parking lot. Next spring, after winter has left, I will replace my factory GYs with the All Season Run Flats Michelin P2s. The A/S have a warranty of 45,000 miles and are less expensive than the standard Michelin ZP (runflat). Of course I will replace my Tire Pressure Sensors since it will be 9 years for the battery life. All the NCCC members that I talked to who now run Michelins say they are superior and would not go back to the GYs. Some said that the Michelins continued to be quieter after several years of wear. But, remember, the GYs also have been greatly improved over the years, so there may not be as much difference. I asked the Michelin tech rep about comparing their tires with the GY, Firestone Firehawk, Hankook, etc, and he told me that Michelin designed their tire to be better than the GY runflat, and did not consider the other manufacturers' tires. My advice, get the tire you really want, considering cost, noise, perfomance, and whatever. So far, I like the GYs on my 2008 and they do run much quieter than the C5 GYs. One last comment, if GM puts the Michelins on the ZR1, it must mean something, even though the rest of the new corvettes get GYs. Spring Mountain now runs Michelins instead of the GYs on their corvettes.
Barrett

My choice is C - neither of the above. I've had Goodyears and Michelins on both C5s and C6s, and I think Bridgestone has blown them both out of the water. They ride well, are quiet AND they perform like a non-runflat. The Potenza Pole Position is worth considering.

Catbert, Is it because you won the Bridgestones that you recommend them? However, I believe the Bridgestones would be a good purchase too. Lots of choices, will be interesting if others run Bridgestones and can give their opinions.
Barrett

Catbert, Is it because you won the Bridgestones that you recommend them? However, I believe the Bridgestones would be a good purchase too. Lots of choices, will be interesting if others run Bridgestones and can give their opinions.
Barrett

Nope I'd always like the price because they were free, but the tires have to stand o their own. If you want a lot more info on all 3 brands try TireRack.Com.

I went with the Firestones from TireRack and they flat blow the Goodyears away. I only got 18K on the Goodyears and I just passed 12K on the Firestones and I am very happy. They don't have the noise problem the Goodyears had they they handle better. Just some thought from a happy camper.

I've got 29,XXX miles on my car, and I'll be replacing my 2nd set with something other than Goodyear. (Inside edges of the fronts are almost to the cords!) There just aren't that many choices for Z06...I looking @ the Generals & Nittos.

I've got 29,XXX miles on my car, and I'll be replacing my 2nd set with something other than Goodyear. (Inside edges of the fronts are almost to the cords!) There just aren't that many choices for Z06...I looking @ the Generals & Nittos.

Wear on the inside of the tires is not usually a tire problem. It's probably a good idea to have the alignment and especially toe in/out checked. My OEM Goodyears had the same issue, but it turned out to be an alignment problem. The new Bridgestones don't appear to be having the same issue. At any rate, an alignment is cheap, compared to tires. I think mine was $79 at the Chevy dealer.

I put on a set of Hankook Evo 12's and they are awesome. I paid 684 delivered from discount tire direct..

I strongly recommend them ..

Great handling. great ride, great price.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom