Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Michelin Pilot Sport ZP or Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP RFT

If you don't mind me asking what did all of this cost ya? And can all tire shops R&R the tires from the rims without screwing them up? Or does it take a special type tire changer? Not ready for tires yet but one of these days.

Thanks,

Bill :w

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two years ago a set of Michelins cost me $1,240 plus R&R & balancing.

Be very cautious regarding who does the work. The installer needs to care about his work and must have the correct equipment. I have had some installed with no wheel damage and no leakage afterwards. Yet another dealer scratched two rims.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two years ago a set of Michelins cost me $1,240 plus R&R & balancing.

Be very cautious regarding who does the work. The installer needs to care about his work and must have the correct equipment. I have had some installed with no wheel damage and no leakage afterwards. Yet another dealer scratched two rims.

That is kind of what scares me; hard to find anyone :bash anymore that gives a rats a$$ :ugh seems like. Do they use the stick on weights when the balanced yours?

Thanks,

Did they use the stick on weights when they balanced yours?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They used standard rim hammered on weights. I bought the tires at Tirerack and used one of their "certified" installers and got good workmanship.

tire cost

The Michelins from Tire Rack delivered to installer cost $1,214.00. The total cost installed with 4 new tire pressure sensors installed cost $2,183.00. I probably could have saved some money if I had bought the sensors myself. I paid a premium by letting the installer get them.

The Michelins from Tire Rack delivered to installer cost $1,214.00. The total cost installed with 4 new tire pressure sensors installed cost $2,183.00. I probably could have saved some money if I had bought the sensors myself. I paid a premium by letting the installer get them.

Maybe, but that is probably what I would have done too. They say the batteries in the sensors are only go for so long, do you know :confused how long that is? Your Michelins are run flats arent't they?

Maybe, but that is probably what I would have done too. They say the batteries in the sensors are only go for so long, do you know :confused how long that is? Your Michelins are run flats arent't they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sensor batteries are quoted by Chevy as expected to last about 10 years. I am fairly certain that you can replace the batteries only in the sensors and thereby reuse the old sensors -- but I may be wrong on that.

My Michelins were A/S ZP meaning All Season, Zero Pressure (run flat).

The installer charged $25 per wheel to install and balance each wheel. They did a good job sealing the new tires. For the first time the GYs did not loose air every few weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sensor batteries are quoted by Chevy as expected to last about 10 years. I am fairly certain that you can replace the batteries only in the sensors and thereby reuse the old sensors -- but I may be wrong on that.

My Michelins were A/S ZP meaning All Season, Zero Pressure (run flat).

The installer charged $25 per wheel to install and balance each wheel. They did a good job sealing the new tires. For the first time the GYs did not loose air every few weeks.

Did you say the Goodyears had started to leak some? I think I will research the batteries in the sensors; that would be the minimum I would want to do if I replace my tires.

Bill :beer

Air leakage from day 1

From the day I bought my '99 new, the GYs leaked air, picked up nails (4 over two years), and rode harshly.

I was adding air every two weeks when driving only five thousand miles a year.

The Michelins, on the same rims, installed with care never leaked. I bled them in the Spring and added air in the Fall.

After setting all winter my Firestone Firehawks lose some air and ocassionally I have to add some air :confused so I assume I have some seepage as well; and all of this is from my tire pressure sensor reading. Not sure how accurate these are to tell you the truth; they have to be plus or minus something ;shrug

Hib I had read the articles before on run flats but re-read it, definently some good reading there. I look at it all as a trade off, if you want the added insurance of getting to some help and don't want to tie a spare tire to the top of the car :ugh and don't want it in the cargo compartment :eek:hnoes as well as don't mind sacrificing a little rougher ride and noise then there is only one choice. I don't mind the ride or the noise; of course I have had nothing else on my C-5. But for me run flats are the only option that makes much sense.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom