Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Mid - America car cover disaster

Roger Whitley

Corvette
2006 LeMans Blue Coupe
Has anyone had a problem like i face. i purchased a typhon car cover from mid america motorworks approx. 3 months ago. i had it on my C-6 for approx two weeks and when i removed the cover my headlight lenses show these very tiny lines or scratches in the lenses. it doesn't appear to be surface, but in the lenses themselves. has anyone else had this happen to them? i called mid america & they said they have not come across this before and doubt that the cover would do this.540-293-8671 u4magic@aol.com

I'm not familiar with the specifics of a "Typhoon" car cover, but if there was dirt or other abrasive particles on the lenses when the cover was put on or if the cover is porous enough to allow dust to penetrate it, if the cover was left on for a period of weeks and something caused the cover to move, that movement may cause the dirt particles to scratch the lenses.

:w Roger-

So, what do you think needs to happen next?

You've given your contact info- I'm just not sure what you are wanting to do. ;shrug

I doubt it has much to do with Mid America but with Typhoon themselves. Make sure its clean before its covered.....:w

Mid - America typhone car cover disaster

i placed this on here as a warning to those who are considering on purchasing a car cover from this company. anyone who would like to see a picture of the damage that this cover does, please e-mail me at u4magic@aol.com & i will email a copy of not only the damage done to my Corvette here in Virginia, but as well as another Corvette in Arizona that has recieved the same damage and same response from Mid-America. Thank you .

typhoon car cover disaster

I'm not familiar with the specifics of a "Typhoon" car cover, but if there was dirt or other abrasive particles on the lenses when the cover was put on or if the cover is porous enough to allow dust to penetrate it, if the cover was left on for a period of weeks and something caused the cover to move, that movement may cause the dirt particles to scratch the lenses.

The car was spotless. cleaned approx. 20min. before cover was placed on car.

My Corvette is just like the yellow one pictured on this forum, except my car is blue. The Corvette from Arizona that has the same issue is red. myself & the car owner in Arizona experienced the exact same problem, only after we placed the typhoon car cover on our Corvettes.

i placed this on here as a warning to those who are considering on purchasing a car cover from this company. anyone who would like to see a picture of the damage that this cover does, please e-mail me at u4magic@aol.com & i will email a copy of not only the damage done to my Corvette here in Virginia, but as well as another Corvette in Arizona that has recieved the same damage and same response from Mid-America. Thank you .

Why not just put the pictures in your post to validate the damage?

Does it look anything like this?

attachment.php

Roger...are you saying the only reason you joined the CAC was to post your opinions on a car cover?

If so, why not post your images so we all can see them and decide for ourselves?

Lastly, do you attribute the damage to the car cover maker or do you hold Mid America responsible for the damage?

Dang gmjunkie, I kinda like that custom cracked glass look. I was recently in a glass shop and they wanted premium $$ for a look like that. Very cool. Neatest thing is bug guts would not be much of a problem would they?:L

i had it on my C-6 for approx two weeks and when i removed the cover my headlight lenses show these very tiny lines or scratches in the lenses.​

You've touched on the issue I have with car covers period. I wouldn't leave a car cover on my Corvette for 2 weeks any more than I'd leave a buffing rag on it for that long. If it's stored inside a garage or warehouse where there is no chance of air movement or dust being kicked up and the intent is to prevent the settling of dust or dirt particles, I could understand. I've seen car covers blowing and billowing like sails on cars in parking lots and yards, and you just KNOW any grains of sand under that are going to play the devil with the finish.

And I can't imagine a Corvette in ARIZONA not getting sand under the cover. Good grief! Have you seen the dust storms they've had recently? :ugh

Roger said:
it doesn't appear to be surface, but in the lenses themselves.

If it's not on the surface then it would seem to me it's not the car cover touching the surface. But maybe that's just me.

Roger...are you saying the only reason you joined the CAC was to post your opinions on a car cover?

If so, why not post your images so we all can see them and decide for ourselves?

Lastly, do you attribute the damage to the car cover maker or do you hold Mid America responsible for the damage?

Excellent questions.

By the way, when you cut and paste from other sites, isn't it annoying the way the paragraph indentations don't work the same? We'll have to work on that.

:wJane Ann

Dang gmjunkie, I kinda like that custom cracked glass look. I was recently in a glass shop and they wanted premium $$ for a look like that. Very cool. Neatest thing is bug guts would not be much of a problem would they?:L

Well, I'll tell you what...you buy me two new VY headlight assemblies and the headlights are yours! :L

That is my car in Junkie's pic.

The cracks are definitely on the INSIDE of the lens. You can purchase new lenses but from what I have read you have to bake the assembly to soften the glue enough to remove the lens for replacement.

It appears that the cracks are caused by repeated heating and cooling of the lens. The DRL gets hot since it is incandescent and heats the lens. Turn the car off and the lens cools. Drive again and repeat.

I do own the typhoon cover from Mid-America the OP owns but my lenses were beginning to get cracks before I had the cover.

Well, I'll tell you what...you buy me two new VY headlight assemblies and the headlights are yours! :L

That is my car in Junkie's pic.

Damn,You caught me,I admit it,I'm a photo thief!~!! :L:L:L

I've been seeing this allot on older C6's (05,06,07's) going through the auto auctions!
Yep, It's heat related,Haven't tried to repair any yet,But I think I can!~!!:thumb
It's the same crazing that can happen to C4 lexan tops after 5-6 years in the sun!
Drive that bad girl down here and we'll see what we can do,There only going to get worse anyway!~!!!:thumb

:D

Damn,You caught me,I admit it,I'm a photo thief!~!! :L:L:L

I've been seeing this allot on older C6's (05,06,07's) going through the auto auctions!
Yep, It's heat related,Haven't tried to repair any yet,But I think I can!~!!:thumb
It's the same crazing that can happen to C4 lexan tops after 5-6 years in the sun!
Drive that bad girl down here and we'll see what we can do,There only going to get worse anyway!~!!!:thumb

:D
No worries about the pic!

Fixing my headlights is on my list for next spring. I'll probably finish school first then work on them.

car cover disaster

i don't know if you priced how much it is to replace them, but i have been told approx. $2,000 each. this is why we are making a case against
Mid-America. a company like that , you would think would make things right, instead of dodging their responsibility.

mid-america car cover disaster

If as someone stated that it might be from sand in Arizona, then how do you explain it happening where i live in Salem,Va.i don't know where the yellow Corvette is located.
no sand around here in Salem, Va. just outside of Roanoke,Va.

mid america car cover disaster

now we have Corvettes located in Indiana, Arizona and Virginia all with identical problems.all having the car covers from Mid-America. coinsidence, i don't think so!

mid America

i and the Corvette owner from Arizona hold Mid-America responsible. this happened ONLY after using their car cover and now i see another one, the yellow one, from Indiana. Coincidence, i don't think so. So buyer BEWARE!

Roger,

Remember, I said that my covers started cracking before I had the cover.

A more plausible explanation is a heat related issue. The DRLs generate a lot of heat that is always there when you are driving. I would bet money that not all of the cars with this problem have been covered with a Typhoon cover from Mid America.

I would just like to know if anyone has though of what can be done so that, when replaced, the covers do not start cracking again in 5-6 years.

BTW - You can get replacement covers and do the fix yourself or send off your lights and have it done for about $700 the pair. That includes new lenses and labor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom