Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mid-Engine C7

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Interesting concept...

attachment.php

:bu

Notgonnahappenthough!

It would take over the 'Big Butt' award from the C5 and I think the fuel filler door would have to move forward.

If I recall correctly :eyerole This comes up every few years "MidEngine" I recall hearing this as far back as 1967.

We'll see ;squint: I'll take my chances with 14 Red on the wheel ;) :boogie

Bud

GM was leaning toward a mid-engine Vette for the C7 or, at least, as a special super Vette but not now.
The Le Mans series was leaning toward making the 'prototype' classes closer to production based cars. If that would happen, then GM would have a good reason to bring out a mid-engine Vette that could be the base for an LMP1 (or LMP EVO) class entry. With that concept shelved, GM has probably shelved the mid-engined Vette also.

The Le Mans series is considering a 'production' based engine format for the LMP1 class or as a subset of the LMP1 class. Aston is already there with their LMP1/Aston V12 entry. It might be that GM will field an LMP1 chassis with the Vette engine next year.

Snapple Anyone?

Call me "old fashion" if you will but not my cup of tea! :ugh

Bill :w

Just doesn't have that long nose front that a Corvette needs to be recognised as the "All American Sports Car". She looks like too Italian! Not sure this mid-engine concept will catch on.

Bill

Still a die hard engine in the front kind of guy! Looks too Ferrari looking for my taste! Makes me wonder if the price will be in the same area too! But what do I know!

http://www.ferrariusa.com/home.php

Bill

Still a die hard engine in the front kind of guy! Looks too Ferrari looking for my taste! Makes me wonder if the price will be in the same area too! But what do I know!

http://www.ferrariusa.com/home.php

Bill
I'll second everything Bill has said in this thread. I prefer my engine in front of me and mustangs behind me:D.

- Eric:w

Interesting, but the problem is it looks nothing like a Corvette. People have been talking about the possibility of a mid-engine corvette since the 70s. Pick up any book about the corvette and invariably you'll see the author say something like "...unfortunately, the mid engine corvette would never see production..." or "...corvette afficionados would have to wait for another iteration of their favorite vehicle before seeing a mid-engine corvette..." or some such nonsense. Every single corvette book I own says the same thing. Well, that and (I'm paraphrasing here): "...the corvette still retains its quaint pushrod technology in an era of overhead cams...". Some people even rag on the light and sophisticated leaf springs, some corvette owners are even ripping them out and putting in heavy, old-fashioned coilovers...for God's sake, why?

I'm all for technical innovation, but not at the expense of mortgaging the car's stylistic lineage and technological legacy. I realize this is just a concept, but I wish people would be happy with the car the way it is instead of imagining what they think it should be: an american version of an italian sports car. The corvette is an american icon, even if the interior of the c6 has heavy european influences (welcome ones, I might add in a low voice). I'll take my engine up front, please!

Interesting, but the problem is it looks nothing like a Corvette. People have been talking about the possibility of a mid-engine corvette since the 70s. Pick up any book about the corvette and invariably you'll see the author say something like "...unfortunately, the mid engine corvette would never see production..." or "...corvette afficionados would have to wait for another iteration of their favorite vehicle before seeing a mid-engine corvette..." or some such nonsense. Every single corvette book I own says the same thing. Well, that and (I'm paraphrasing here): "...the corvette still retains its quaint pushrod technology in an era of overhead cams...". Some people even rag on the light and sophisticated leaf springs, some corvette owners are even ripping them out and putting in heavy, old-fashioned coilovers...for God's sake, why?

I'm all for technical innovation, but not at the expense of mortgaging the car's stylistic lineage and technological legacy. I realize this is just a concept, but I wish people would be happy with the car the way it is instead of imagining what they think it should be: an american version of an italian sports car. The corvette is an american icon, even if the interior of the c6 has heavy european influences (welcome ones, I might add in a low voice). I'll take my engine up front, please!

I can't agree more with others on this post. One look at the mid-engine 70's concept car at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and you can see why this idea just doesn't work, even though it was forty years ago. Corvettes as a brand may need some tweeking in the future, but not in this direction. Technically, I can't see any reason for such a drastic change. One look at the new ZR-1 and the performance specs, and you can see what is possible in the present platform. I guess I'm old fashion, but I'd like to see the present car improved, or modified. Yesterday I saw the unvailing of the first ZR-1 at bowling Green, a sapphire blue coupe and the commentator quoted GM officials as saying they can sell every single one! Says a lot, there is no shortage of very wealthy people in America?

I'm partial to front engine, rear trans...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom