Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mild Clutch Shudder

OrangeFlash

Corvette
2006 DSOM Conv., 1970 LT-1, 1962 FI, 1956 2x4
How many of you are experiencing a little clutch shudder? Here is how mine acts and also what I have heard/read to date.

Mine has always had a little when engaging at low engine RPM's (just above idle) or if you were partly engage at low RPM and then increased RPMs during the rest of the engagement; it has always been a little more sensitive in reverse. If RPMs are increased a little to, say, 1000 RPM, is is as smooth as can be. It is not a bad "chatter" but more a lower frequency shudder. It has gotten better with miles; I know have about 13,500 on a car built in December of '05 and the degree of this minor shudder is about half of when new; it is almost gone but on occasion (it seems to come and go) it is still noticable. A search here didn't find much info in prior threads; over on the Corvette Forum there are a few posts which suggest that quite a few people have similar clutch action. I am trying to figure out if most all of them will do this if engaging at just a little over idle or if it is a quality issue on some units. Although I have taken it to my dealer who has had his mechanic drive it I did this mainly to document that it is there for possible future warranty puposes. I have not pressed for a replacement for two reasons: (1) I hate to have my new car torn into as deeply as needed for a clutch replacement unless it gets really objectionable, and (2) there are rumors over on the Corvette Forum that GM may be coming out with an improved clutch design (at least mentioned in connection with Z06) to smooth this minor annoyance out.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to cover it comprehensively. How about some of the rest of you? Any similar experiences, feedback or enlightening info? Thanks in advance.

I have had my C6 for about one month now and I have noticed the exact same behavior.

. It has gotten better with miles; I know have about 13,500 on a car built in December of '05 and the degree of this minor shudder is about half of when new; it is almost gone but on occasion (it seems to come and go) it is still noticable.
I had the same 'shudder' when it was new. But now, with about 7K miles, its gone. Maybe it comes back occasionally, but I hardly notice.

Stop and go traffic was the culpret in my case, after purchasing I had the pleasure of a 40 mile commute home. This glazed the clutch and with time it will and did go away.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom