Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mileage

JJS

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
Well, I got the car out of storage last week and I've put about 100 miles on it since, a combination of both highway and stop & go.
I'm only averaging about 9.5 miles to the gallon according to the car's computer system.

Is this a normal "break-in" thing or should I have concerns about the computer. I filled it up and it told me I had a "range" of about 165 miles or so. I was between 1/2-3/4 of a tank when I filled it.

Thanks in advance for any advice - I'm abit concerned since my highway - stop and go mileage is about 50/50.

-JS

Doesn't sound right to me. I'm averaging about 22.4 and the wife is averaging about 26.8. I haven't reset the computers on either car for about 5 years.

I'll be going up to the dealership this weekend and I'll have them check it out. Thanks for your reply - I know 9.5 can't be right even during "break-in."

I'll be going up to the dealership this weekend and I'll have them check it out. Thanks for your reply - I know 9.5 can't be right even during "break-in."

9.5 ain't right. Computer problem? Did you calculate the actual mileage also or just rely on the computer?

Congrats on the GS, John! Sounds like a glitch to me, I'm getting 26.+-

:w
Guy

My GS is averaging around 22 and would be better but I just can't behave......love to listen to those Corsas rapping up......They may just unhook the battery and let everything reset.....or not.....let us know what they find. Good luck with it......

Are you sure the battery is fully charged?.......may not make a difference with this though......

Last edited:
>Congrats on the GS, John! Sounds like a glitch to me, I'm getting 26.+-

Thanks Guy, there's definitely something that's not right but I'm not too concerned since I have less than 100 miles on it and it drives better than any car I've ever been in.
As I stated earlier I'll be up at MacMulkin's this weekend and I'll see what they have to say.

> Are you sure the battery is fully charged?.......may not make a difference with this though......

Good question. I put the car in storage for 2 months after purchase, although I do believe the battery is fully charged.

I babied it until I got used to the clutch and short-throw shifter, but I've also been on it a couple of times. It's a lot of fun to drive and it's a really beautiful machine.
I'm sure everything will be fine.

Also, I filled it when it was betwen 1/2-3/4. Maybe I should have ran the 1st tank empty.

Thanks again for all your replies.

-John

I would fill the tank up, reset your trip info...and try it again. Hiccups happen, so its best to start all over again, and make sure you double check it on your own, pen and paper make a good double check.

I have found my 2012 GS does NOT get as good gas mileage as my 08 vert got. Must be the wider body and tires....oh well.

so tonight cruising on the highway coming home from a cruise night, I set the cruise at 68 for the heck of it and turned on the instant mpg display...cruising at that speed everyone was passing me. so I had a clear shot , no braking needed.... I would say the GS registered between 27 and 30 mpg...I have an automatic trans...on flat stretches the display showed 30 pretty much all the time and sometimes 31...grades would bring it down to the most 26..so if you get much less than that...see your dealer...

Thanks for the input,maybe mine will get better when it gets some miles on it.

John, a word of advice about batteries on these C6 Vettes. It is advisable to keep a trickle charger on the battery when you are not using the car. These cars use a lot of power even when shut off.

Elaine

JJS, The GS is geared a bit lower as is my 08 with Z51, best mileage I've seen in 25k miles is about 23 most of the time 19-22 :w

John, a word of advice about batteries on these C6 Vettes. It is advisable to keep a trickle charger on the battery when you are not using the car. These cars use a lot of power even when shut off.

Elaine

Thanks for the advice Elaine, I've also heard that from others but so far that hasn't been a problem. My car came with the trickle charger but I still don't know where it is!:)
There's still a ton of stuff I have to read up on. I appreciate all the advice though so please keep it coming!

-JS

JJS, The GS is geared a bit lower as is my 08 with Z51, best mileage I've seen in 25k miles is about 23 most of the time 19-22 :w

Right about now Dale I'd be happy with double digits for mileage. :)

I'll be taking it into the shop hopefully next weekend if the weather cooperates. I still don't even have a sticker for it.

My 2012 GS gets the poorest mileage of any of the 5 C5s and C6s I've owned, including the 2007 Z06. The best was the 98 automatic with the standard rear end at over 30 hi way. The new GS just can't crack 26 or so, no matter how I baby it. I guess it's no surprise, considering the wide body and soft, wide tires. Oh well, it ain't an econobox.:thumb

Last edited:
I average about 26mpg hwy when I take it easy (70 mph) in my '06 Z06 and about 20 mpg combined city/hwy...again taking it easy with the right foot (ever price a set of tires for these cars? ) :eek

Basic question: Have you reset your mpg readout on the DIC after you topped off the tank? Also, depending on your driving, it can take up to a 1/2 tank to get a true mpg average. The computer always calculates lower mpg right after filling up due to the short distance traveled against speed, etc.

I'm averaging a little over 20 mpg on the highway but I definitely have a heavy foot on the gas pedal.
I'm still getting to know the car and I absolutely love it. It's fast, comfortable, and just a wonderful car. I only have
a few (300+) miles on it so we're still going through break-in.

I didn't know you had to reset the mileage option every time you drove the car. I read the manual a few months
ago (during the winter when it was in storage) but I forgot most of what I read. I need to sit in the garage some
day and just go through the manual.

I absolutely LOVE this car though!

I'm averaging a little over 20 mpg on the highway but I definitely have a heavy foot on the gas pedal.
I'm still getting to know the car and I absolutely love it. It's fast, comfortable, and just a wonderful car. I only have
a few (300+) miles on it so we're still going through break-in.

I didn't know you had to reset the mileage option every time you drove the car. I read the manual a few months
ago (during the winter when it was in storage) but I forgot most of what I read. I need to sit in the garage some
day and just go through the manual.

I absolutely LOVE this car though!

Assuming your car is stock, you should be doing better than 20mpg hwy. These things can cruise all day long at 65 mph in 6th gear at 1200 rpm (just above idle) and return 26-30mpg.

You don't have to reset the fuel mileage every time you drive the car, just at every fill-up OR just leave it alone - your choice.

PS: The owner's manual is also available online.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom