Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Minding my own business...

korvettekarl

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
So there I was minding my own business pulling out of the 7/11 with coffee for me and my buds at our shop when this guy with an expired Mexican driver's license decides now is a good time to run the red light. My 05 DSOM is now in the body shop at Fairway Chevrolet and I have 2nd degree burns on my legs. The car can be fixed and my legs will heal but I will forever hear the squeal of an F150 locking it's brakes for over 200 feet and the crunching sound of all the composite stuff they build our beloved cars with now days. I am driving the 57 Bel Air these days and it's almost as good as the 05 in driving pleasure. It does have an 87 Vette rear end and Jim Meyers racing rack and pinion in the front along with the Ramjet 350 and 700R4 tranny. Am I nervous about it getting wrecked? Not really. How many guys can there be with expired Mexican drivers licenses out there? In this town about 35% of the drivers on the road. I guess I should stop whining now and thank you all for letting me vent. It's cheaper than a pshrink.

Ugh.. That stinks !! :(

How long will they take to put it back together?

:w
-Stefan

Three weeks if the parts don't take too long to come in.

Oh, man!

Very sorry to hear that. We have similar problems here with, er, "non-citizens" running around without licenses or insurance. :mad (I toned it down so this won't get tossed into The Edge)

I hope she comes back looking good as new. :upthumbs

And hey, a '57 for backup is cool, too!

Rick
:gap

Yeah the 57 is cool. I've got the 90 ZR1 but it is down for new injectors. Should be done this weekend if I can find the O rings in town.

I'm surprised you weren't sent to jail and your car impounded.
Getting that off my chest,i'm very sorry about your car as Corvettes are livin' breathin' things with feelings.:cry

Ya I'm a bit surprised myself. I do have a carry concealed permit. When the cops came they were razzing me about that also since my status as a permit holder comes up whenever they run my numbers. I was actually VERY calm. But in the end no one got hurt except of course my car. It barely scratched the bumber on the Ford.

karl,
Make sure to go back after his insurance company (if he has any) and get the money for diminished value.....may not be much but every little bit helps.

Sorry to hear about this.

That REALLY sucks, but I'm glad to hear you're OK. Everything else can be fixed or replaced as I'm sure others have said.
Hope you're feeling better (physically, and mentally) soon. -JS

At least he had some kind of license. Around here they (immigrants of all kinds) don't bother carrying anything that resembles a license. That's one of the reasons that Phoenix insurance is among the most expensive in the country.

Holy Crap! He wrecks your Vette, your legs have 2nd degree burns, you had a gun, and he's still breathing? :r

Oh, yeah, I forgot - they don't even let law enforcement shoot those guys. Glad you're ok. But, I gotta ask the question: did he have a green card? I'm guessing not, since he had an expired Mexican license. Was he arrested? And insurance? I doubt it if he didn't have a license. That's why honest folk have to carry uninsured motorist coverage.

I'm sorry to hear of your accident and the injury to your legs, but glad to hear you'll be alright. Feel free to vent anytime about the carelessness and stupidity of other drivers - I sure do!

Take care and get better!! Hope you get your Vette back good as new soon!!

:w Jane Ann

Nov 22, 1998 I was rear ended by an illegal, unlicensed mexican in a borrowed 3/4 ton commercial van. Broke my back in two places and my neck as well. As a direct result of this incident I walk like Frankenstein and my headaches are becoming unbearable. I take prescribed Oxycodone, Morphine Sulfate, Ativan and still cannot sleep, even with 500-600 mg of Trazadone nightly. Anyone wanna trade!

Nickname: Crash

Well it seems your living up to your Nickname. :D

Glad you'll be OK, sorry to hear about the Vette.

Take care and get well soon!

L8TR - D

I don't think they are even required to run plates up here in the northern part of the state. Take a drive around Reno and you would be astonished to see the number of vehicles without tags.

So there I was minding my own business pulling out of the 7/11 with coffee for me and my buds at our shop when this guy with an expired Mexican driver's license decides now is a good time to run the red light. My 05 DSOM is now in the body shop at Fairway Chevrolet and I have 2nd degree burns on my legs. The car can be fixed and my legs.....
There's prob three of them repairing your car right now ;LOL

We have a lot of immigrants in our neck of the woods as well. Lots of people from Brazil and Africa, some legal, some not.
Yesterday I was on a 3 lane road with green light where you could go straight if you were in the middle or right hand lanes, or (green arrow) take a left if you were in the left hand lane, where I was. As you might have guessed, the car in the middle lane took a left right in front of me (African - no blinker) and completely cut me off. Call it "anticipation," call it experience or whatever, but I "KNEW" this was going to happen and I was prepared for it. I slowed way down as I approached the light, and this guy just cut right across the lane, and continued as if nothing happened even as I was laying on the horn for good 10 seconds.
I couldn't help but think of this '05 DSOM story

hey karl
sorry about the mishap. ihad 4 in a cavalier stop right in front of me on nellis blvd. ihad no place to go and i rear ended em. just stopped in the center lane no reason.also mexican license. just an insurance scam. fairway does good work.cost to repair nose on vette 1200 cost to repair cavalier rear end 3700 go figure.
jeff

Thanks to everybody for your heartfelt best wishes. No green card no insurance. I do carry uninsured coverage. A neccesity here. I grew up in this town after my father retired from the US Air Force in 1969. Vegas had maybe 150,000 people back then. My graduating class had 47 kids of hispanic heritage in a class of 1200. When my daughter graduated from the same high school in 2001 well over 60% was hispanic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom