Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Missing bolts

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
I was doing some work on my front brakes and spotted some missing bolts from the chassis on the drivers side. (Why Bubba why???:hb)

Checked in my AIM (section 14A sheet 1) sure enough it shows the bolts and gives me a GM part number(9419099), but i can't find what size it is. I don't like the idea of removing a bolt from the passenger side to check the size with the drivers side missing.
Does anyone know what size this bolt should be????

View attachment 20105 IMG_5907.jpg

if you put a wench on it and see what size the head is, you can figure out the bolt size from that.... e.g. the heads are one and one half the size of the bolts...

You kinda need those bolts. They are attaching bolts for you bumper support. Before you tighten them up check to make sure the left side of the nose isn't sagging a little. It looks like they have been gone a long time. The holes in the frame are not aligned with the holes in the brackets.

Last edited:
It looks like a 1/2-13 bolt. Measure the hole and see if it is a little larger than 1/2 inch. Make sure you add a lock washer into your material thickness calculations. The thickness of the metal, plus the nut, plus the washer, and 2 treads minimum should be showing beyond the nut when tightened. Put a jack under the bracket and lift until the holes aligns with the others.

Last edited:
Ok checked today. The hole is a little larger than 1/2" so 1/2-13 sounds right.
Bill's theory worked as well. The existing bolts on the passenger side were a 3/4" head.

I'll pick up some bolts tomorrow to replace them with

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom