Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mixing tires front & back. Yes or no?

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
I probably know what the answer will be because it's the same thing that I'd tell someone else if they asked. But hey, aren't we always better at figuring out other people's problems and not our own?

So as you might be aware, I'm getting new rims/tires sometime very soon. (That thread here)
I'm trying to decide if I want to keep all four tires the same (brand and size) or mix 'n' match front to back (both size and brand).

If I keep all the tires the same size (245 width), I have the benefits of being able to rotate the tires front to back and have the same tire characteristics at all four corners. The tires are about $113 each.

If I mix 'n' match, I'd put 245's up front from one mfg and 255's in the rear from another mfg. The rear tires would actually be a little cheaper at $99 each, but they are wider, probably have slightly better traction and, well, I think they look cooler :cool:L. (People typically only see the rear tires tread pattern.) However, in this scenario I lose the ability to rotate any of the tires as they are directional.

To note, I checked a few places and the front tire brand isn't available in a 255 (to put on the rear) and the rear tire brand isn't available in a 245 to put on the front. Dammit! :mad :L

So that's the dilemma... save a couple bucks (with the exception of long term since I can't rotate), have better(?) tires in the rear, but different brand/pattern than the front...or just go the same all around?
Normally I'd say "go the same all around whenever possible", but these specific rears are doing a good job of wooing me. :D

Doesn't matter much if you're going to spend a lot of time going straight (like 1/4-mile at a time), but for normal driving where handling balance is important, it's not a great idea to go different sizes front and rear, and it's even a worse idea to have different manufacturer's tires front and rear (constructions, tread pattern, and rubber compounds will be different between the two brands, screwing up handling balance and breakaway characteristics at the limit). If looking at them is more important than driving on them, that's different. :eyerole

For you I'd have to suggest the cheepest rear tire possible. I'm assuming it won't live long enough to be rotated.:lou:chuckle

Doesn't matter much if you're going to spend a lot of time going straight (like 1/4-mile at a time), but for normal driving where handling balance is important, it's not a great idea to go different sizes front and rear, and it's even a worse idea to have different manufacturer's tires front and rear (constructions, tread pattern, and rubber compounds will be different between the two brands, screwing up handling balance and breakaway characteristics at the limit). If looking at them is more important than driving on them, that's different. :eyerole
I obviously agree with you since I pretty much said those were the pros/cons I was kicking around. However, the one point you made that I'd have to question is about having different sizes, be it width and/or diameter. What was the last year Corvette to have the exact same sizes front & rear? They've had the same compound, yes, but definitely different sizes.

I'm probably just gonna go with the 245 all around and stick with the K.I.S.S. philosophy. (Unless I find that the 255's will in fact not rub in the front. But I seem to recall that on my particular car, 255 up front rubbed.)

What was the last year Corvette to have the exact same sizes front & rear?

Differing tire sizes front and rear started with the '84 Z-51 'Vettes. They had 16x8.5" in the front, and 16x9.5" in the rear. For the rest of the C4's it varied from year to year. The ZR-1's and GS' had 17x9.5" in the front, and 17x11" in the rear.

I dont think varrying tire sizes became standard across the Corvette line-up until the C5's came out in '97.

:thumb Jason

For you I'd have to suggest the cheepest rear tire possible. I'm assuming it won't live long enough to be rotated.
John - I'd agree with Cheap 1's...
:L I don't often do smoke shows. CruiseFest is usually about it. Maaaybe one other random time during the year, but mostly only at CruiseFests. :thumb

After doing some visual inspections on my car, when it's on the ground at full lock turn, I have about a 3/8" clearance between the driver side front inner-wall and the power steering cylinder. When it's up in the air, it just barely touches. So today I ordered my 17" with 255's at each corner. More info in this thread. Oh, and it just barely touched without the center cap plate on there, so that extra 1-2mm would've likely taken up the difference.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in. I really didn't want to mix & match. Had the 255's not fit, I would've gone 245's all around.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom