Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil 1 Oil

H

hapafcop

Changing the oil for the first time tonight in my new '89 Red Coupe. I've checked the posts and most everyone appears to use Mobil 1 Synthetic. So, I figured this was the way to go.

I'm military, so I went to the Base Exchange and all I could find is Mobil 1 synthetic SuperSyn, Newer Vehicle Formula.

My question is do they all say "Newer Vehicle Formula?" Is this the right stuff? Is there another Mobil 1 synthetic I should get?

Hap
San Antonio, TX
'89 Red Coupe
http://hapfamily.tripod.com/89_vet.htm

Latest marketing ploy on Mobil's bottle...it's the same thing, just use 5w30 and you'll be golden.

hapafcop said:
I'm military, so I went to the Base Exchange and all I could find is Mobil 1 synthetic SuperSyn, Newer Vehicle Formula.

BTW ... about how much is the Mobile 1 on base?
JACK:gap

This is the lowest price I have never heard of.:eek

Mobil 1 is Mobil 1

Oil is Oil!

Just make sure you use the right weight, 5w30 especially since you're down here in the 105F like me.

I've also tried Valvoline synthetic and I like the way it felt. Seemed smoother than Mobil1.

But, just keep it with a very high quality (read expensive) synthetic and you will be fine.

Also, be sure and change it every 3000/3 months, as it becomes noticeable if you let it go on too long. And that can't be good, especially in high heat driving.

BTW, what do you average Oil/Water temp wise in '03 NBA Champ Spurs territory?

:cool

but the manual said 5W30 is prefered. I heard of people said stick what manufacturer recommended.

I believe 5W-30 is recommended if the outside temp is below 80 degrees or so, but since he is in San Antonio where the low is rarely below 80 degrees, 10W-30 is better.

5W30 is for temperatures that fall below 0 degrees F. Since I never run mine in that cold of weather, I use the 10W30. The owner's manual has a chart of when to use 5 or 10. Happy motoring :)

newvette said:
Actually, you'll probably want to use 10W-30 for the hotter weather.

That is actually a misconception....5W30 and 10W30 have exactly the same visosity at 200F....they are only different at low temps and not at high temps...check their stats on the technical bulletin site on M1 or www.bobistheoilguy.com forum

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom