Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Mobli 1

lurk

Just curious - has anyone had an oil related engine failure?

Yes....79 Chevy pickup 350 C.I. that I had converted over to Amzoil way back in the early 80's. I seem to recall the stuff was real thin and the truck was using up quite a bit of it. I had to add 2 quarts after about a thousand miles......the truck did not have a ton of miles on it. The Amzoil guy said it would use some up front but then should stablize. Anyway a guy who worked for us took the truck out to western Kansas on a job and did not check the oil level and put the rods through the pan. Never used synthetic from that time on, until Chevy started putting Mobil 1 in the Corvette. Now that is about all I use. Only small block that I ever had a major fail with and I have had a lot of them.

Yes....79 Chevy pickup 350 C.I. that I had converted over to Amzoil way back in the early 80's. I seem to recall the stuff was real thin and the truck was using up quite a bit of it. I had to add 2 quarts after about a thousand miles......the truck did not have a ton of miles on it. The Amzoil guy said it would use some up front but then should stablize. Anyway a guy who worked for us took the truck out to western Kansas on a job and did not check the oil level and put the rods through the pan. Never used synthetic from that time on, until Chevy started putting Mobil 1 in the Corvette. Now that is about all I use. Only small block that I ever had a major fail with and I have had a lot of them.

I guess I meant this century.;LOL When I lived in NE and raced a Hurst Olds at Kearny, I tried syn - it ran through that Olds like a dose of salts.......

Gosh darn...."Catbert", "1analguy"...you guys win. Your respective skill at arguing your points and your knowledge of engine oil is, well...amazing:chuckle

If I had any sense, I'd switch to Mobil 1 0W40 in my engines.

But, heck...after 20 years of using ester-based products, it's likely my mental processes have been affected by the fumes from some of the additives in those oils. In spite of all the evidence you presented....

I ordered yet another case of Red Line 10W30.

Personally I like to use Hoppes gun oil in my 2009 C6....it gets a little bit pricey, but I can use the oil rags to clean my guns! ;)

Actually, your unsubstantiated opinion is every bit as valid as mine, and I don't begrudge your opinions, but I don't think they are more valid than mine, since I've been at this even longer than you. In the absence of valid data BS reigns;).

So you can pay double for Red Line, out of habit, but comfortable that you won't have the oil related failures that those of us who use consumer brands experience. Wait......no one has reported having oil related
The bottom line is that we would be arguing about car wax if we weren't already arguing about oil.:beer

It's kind of what happens on forums.

Lol! I think that in many cases, the differences between one product and another....one technique or another....are usually very insignificant. For example, I only get Mobil or BP gas. It's habit! Do I really believe that Shell or Chevron is bad and will break the vette? Not really.....but I'll still drive a few extra miles to avoid other gas stations.

In the end, whatever makes you happy....whatever makes you feel better....whatever makes you think you are really buying those extra few days of reliability....that's what you should do.

I was privvy to a conversation a number of years ago in which it was related to us that a racing team which carried Mobil 1 sponsorship did some dyno testing followed by tear downs and they found less wear using Red Line than with Mobil 1. I also remember the old Corvette Challenge racing series (running almost stock C4's) and the series changed title sponsors to a massed produced, cheap, over the counter engine oil. Engine failures in the series went from zero to many until they added oil coolers. Even with this stark reality staring them in the face, the race organizers refused to concede the inferiority of the new oil.

I have been using Mobil 1 for about 25 years now with no apparent problems, but as I became aware of the changing formulation issues, I have decided that I will probably switch to Red Line or another high-end oil for peace of mind. I haven't had an engine failure, but I've heard of them and seen a few.

BTW, just because a car has a decal on its fender, I wouldn't automatically assume that that product is actually being used in the crank-case, or any where else.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom