Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modding a 76 vette where to start

P

P-Ferg

I have a 76 vette automatic 3speed what can i do to make it faster besides throwing a turbo or super charger in it ...think its already got a cam in it and took emissions stuff off of it?!

I you want more off the line punch, then maybe better rear end gears are in order.. I you want more speed, then maybe upgrading the engine power might be the way to go.. AS for the basic upgrades, you will feel a seat of the pants improvement by just going to dual exhaust with headers.. the next cheapest upgrade for power would probably be an aftermarket intake and further into the maze are the heads and camshaft.. JUst start with the headers. They will make it faster and LOUDER.

View the engine as a large air pump , the more air you can shift , the more fuel you can burn. So whatever you do you have to understand it as to be viewed in this context.
Bite the bullet and go for a total package approach and match everything. I have learned that incremental approaches to power , albeit incremental in money terms , rarely are effective and you often end up spending a lot of money , far more than a total package, let alone the fact that that what you do often does not work in harmony.
I assume you want street reliability with a bit of tear your head off accleration, some tyre squeal and smoke and a decent top end? I can't imagine the car is more than a toy and that perhaps you wanna be a bit of a hooligan now and then on the roads and perhaps take it to the strip and not be embarassed?

Here's what I did to my 80
From the top
K&N air filter , holley street avenger 770 carb , Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock 64cc ally heads , comp cams 270h cam, ceramic coated branches (dunno make) 63mm SS exhaust with the smallest freeflow silencers I could get , MSD6al, Flamethrower distributor, 2000 rpm stall, shift kit 3.55 gear ratio. replaced manual fan with electric fan.
Yeh it wasnt "cheap" but then neither was it expensive compared to the what I got , 13.2 1/4 miles on stock tyres which equates to beat almost anything on the street performance , 225km/h top speed (anything over 200 kph is , imho crazy on the roads) good gas economy , 6500 rpm (I limit at 6000) , great accleration and also great pickup , mean sorta rumpety idle and chilling exhaust ssounds and most importantly , whats in the broeks(pants) to go with it's looks.
My worst moment prior to that was getting beaten by 2 20something chicks in a stock golf GTI who gave me the finger as they passed me bye.....never again!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom