Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modifying center console with Media Screen

M

mikesC5

Thanks for visiting this thread.

I would like to remove the current Bose Radio/CD and replace it with a Media Screen. Does anyone know where to get a trim piece that would make this look like a factory install? Or does anyont know if the C6 Radio Console will fit a 04 C5?

Below is a decsription of the set up.

I was at the Chevy Vette Fest in Chicago and happen to run accross a 04 with the set up. Unfortunely I could not find the owner.
On the C5 you have the ashtray on the bottom. The HVAC controls were lowered into this slot. Then where the radio and HVAC use to be, it was replaced by a 7" diagonal media screen. The trim piece he had looked perfect. It actually could have passed as a C6 interior.

Also has anyone done this to there car? I would be interested in hearing what you had done. I am looking to add a media screen that would operate a Nav system/GPS, a DVD, a 6 disc CD changer and satelite radio.

Thanks to all that replied.

MikesC5

I have read elsewhere on the forum that the HVAC was dropped down and a larger touch screen system was put in.. donno where that thread is though..
Post it here if ya run across it!
Rain (ttt)

Go to vetteessentials.com the guys name is Ken King, he has that set up in his yellow convertible as well as if you go through the gallery you will see some others. Kenwood has a product as well as Eclipes and Alpine we have a audio shop up here called Car Toys and they can customize your dash to make it look like it came that way.

Wouldnt it be nice to get a group purchase on these?

ken34.jpg

Awesome Job!!!!!

This is absolutely awesome for sure:_rock !!! Did you do this or have it done and is it available in a kit form? Appreicate any help of information on this.

Thanks and again AWESOME!

Bill :w

Rain said:
Wouldnt it be nice to get a group purchase on these?

ken34.jpg

its one of the company cars in the gallery at vetteessentials.com

Fab. work! (aint it?) I would be on board if someone put together a group purchase on the needed kit.

Ken King actually did his but as I stated above many of these custom shops can do the work and there are many aftermarket DVD/Navigation systems out there. I really like the Kenwood set up you install the navigation unit it the storage compartment in the back leave the Nav Disc in all the time and behind the screen up front you can play CD's or DVD's and switch back and forth to the Nav as you need it. To answer Rain's question that car in the pic is Ken King's car and he is the owner of Vette Essentials.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32825&item=5733776298&rd=1

This one from Pioneer. bit cheaper, but does not have the full time DVD drive to mount in the rear compartment as the Kenwood model does.
More like the one in my Expeidition where you have to swap the Nav Disc and CDs in the single player.(Unless you opt for the 12 disc changer in my center console of the Expedition which only plays CDs) Gives you guages too. (Vehicle Dynamics Display: displays three instruments that indicate the status of your vehicle. You can change the values displayed by the instruments on the left and right of the Sensor View, allowing you to choose from the following: voltage, acceleration, side acceleration, angular velocity, slope, direction, or clock._

Also, the Kenwood supports Sirius and the Pioneer supports XM Radio.

its a single DIN unit with a motorized screen.

more pics and info
http://www.avicn1.com/

Kenwood also has a unit that is just the screen with touch screen capabilities, it's not a unit that has a motorized retactable screen. It's a in dash monitor receiver with a screen that slides up and down for you to load the CD's or DVD. It's unit # is DDX 7015 The Vette opening is a din and a half while this unit is 2 din in size thus creating the need to eliminate the ashtray and move everything down. The Eclipes is also an all in one monitor receiver.

Its a beautiful set up - If I find myself #1 in a C5 by new years and #2 find myself driving it more on the open roads, I might go this route.
Alas, I will most likely be traveling with the family or the band for 90% of my road trips and will not have a need for it in the Vette.

The Expedition already has a NAV system.

BUT< the Astro Van does not.hmmmmmmmmm

HAHAHA!

Saw a similar set up in a C5 at a show in Round Hill, VA this summer. Owner said he had his installed at a Tweeter store. As I recall, they dropped the HVAC controls down to the ashtray area too. It looked good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom