Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mono leaf spring

C

crebo

Hey Guys and Gals!

I know that it's been posted plenty. I just need alittle advice on a rear spring. Pretty sure I'm going with the monoleaf. Just wondering if any one knows of any deals or which one not to buy. Which brand is better type of thing...

Any advice will be helpful

Chris

TRW is my brand of choice. Where you get it should be the place that charges the least and ships it when they say they will. I have had good relations with Mid-America.
As far as spring rate 318, 340, or 355 Lbs. is up to you depending on the ride you want. I found the 355 is still plenty comfortable on my '82. Honestly there isn't too much difference in 37 Lbs. Get the long bolts, because it is going to ride higher than your worn out springs with the stock bolts, and you can adjust it to the ride height to match you front springs.

Just be carefull....I got smacked in the side of my head last winter taking a dumb short-cut and Im lucky im still here. Everytime I look at that spring... the end of it snapping me in the head.....I still love the car even after that!!

crebo said:
Hey Guys and Gals!

I know that it's been posted plenty. I just need alittle advice on a rear spring. Pretty sure I'm going with the monoleaf. Just wondering if any one knows of any deals or which one not to buy. Which brand is better type of thing...

Any advice will be helpful

Chris

I have no ax to grind one way or the other but when I bought mine it had the VBP 330# mono leaf and their rear camber strut rods. This set up for me is the perfect combo of ride quality and handling. I would click on their thread above and take advantage of the 10% discount they give CAC members.

Mine came with a monoleaf that was too soft...

then I put on a heavier metal. One spring hanger broke, wrecking that,a nd I put on the whole dual mount rear monoleaf thing from VBP. I like it on the second to harshest (I drive on a lot of bad roads.)

Remember only with the fiberspring you have to insulate it from exhaust heat. It's not a big deal, but failure to do so can ruin it - watch people using torches under cars too.

Thanks so much.
I'm still not sure of the spring rate. I have a big block in the car. So I figured I should go with the heaviest...
I already have strut rods so I figure I'll get started right after the spring..I will make a valid attempt not to smack myself in the head. I need to get in touch with Horsepower T.V. for project stinkray. I think they gave pretty good instructions on the install.
I missed it I was on the range training our couragous National Guardsmen.
Thanks guys.
Any install advice or tips will be helpful

VBP. Get the poly end links and 8" bolts!!! I just finished mine... it's a sweet ride and you can adjust the height.

I used a jack to lift up one side of the spring at a time... just enough to get the nut threaded securely on the bolt... then release the jack slowly and dial up the ut to where you want it. Remember the rear end will settle a bit after you adjusted.

WayneLBurnham

You were saying insulation..Does the kit come with? Do I have to fabricate something? Is there a kit that I can buy?

There is some "stock" thing....I didn't have it....

I used about 5 feet or so (really not sure) of some 2" header wrap I had laying around, some aluminum tape (just for positioning), some aluminum "flashing" (the construction thin al sheet), and a fist full of zip ties (hose clamps or those header wrap metal tie wraps would work - but so do simple zip ties!)

I wrapped different sections of different things. In a few places I wrapped sections of the spring, in some others, where it would be difficult, I wrapped a small section of the adjacent exhaust pipe. My rule of thumb was to nowhere have less than a handlength of air between pipe and any part of the fiberspring - including the area where that is the mount area.

Thank you guys so much. Now I have to cut a deal with the wife. I buy my spring she buys a purse. You know that sorta thing.

I'm getting ready to start the same project on my 81

Crebo,
I just purchased my dream car this month... and the rear-end it at the top-of-the-fixit list. The aftermarket poly bushing / fiberspring kit just arrived so I hope 2 get started on it asap!

An experienced vette mechanic in the area is giving my girl a 'once-over' ... he noticed the steering was also loose - so I might be doing the front end suspension earlier than expected.

A buddy that put a similar kit on his '79 said the ride was significanly stiffer. More fun by far! but also a bit more uncomfortable on bad highway. so I was considering leaving the original leaf spring in w/ the aftermarket bushings / shocks... just a thought. if anyone has anythoughts Id be interested... bad idea to mix-n-match?

Let's compare notes! good luck w/ the purse! :L

Blitz

Blitz
Never really thought of mix-matching. My rear is so worn. Bushing gone. Spring just looks bad....like an old jump rope. The spring is the final piece to start my rear end. I'm waiting for HorsePower TV to send me a copy of the Stinkray episodes. I will be doing much of the same things. If you get started pretty quick let me know of anything that will make my job easier. Thanks much...

Don't know if you already bought your product...but Bob sent a link with a good price. I also found it alittle cheaper on the Fastvettes webpage. I think maybe 10 dollars differ. Didn't check shipping...I can send you the link if you need. It looks like the same product that Bob sent.

Crebo

crebo said:
If you get started pretty quick let me know of anything that will make my job easier. Thanks much...

Crebo

I'd made arrangements to use the lift at the Autocraft shop here at Langley AFB... had the whole weekend planned out. But I shattered my kneecap in a motorcycle accident this week. :cry So I wont be off of crutches for 6 wks or so. Untill then, I'll live vicariously through you ...

lead the way!
Blitz

Alan G.
Sounds good to me. I'll should make my purchase around the middle of this month. I will surely give you a call. Thanks very much for the information.
Chris

Mono- Spring Upgrade COMPLETED !!

Fellow shark lovers,

I've been watching this thread for the last few weeks.... planning my own upgrade. Well, it's finally done ! I installed the VBP Performance Plus kit for my 81.
kneecap-thumbnail.jpg

I'm a small business owner myself... and I appreciate those businesses that sponsor great resources... like this forum. But I offer this constructively, for a $2200 kit - I didn't get kit instructions (although every individual bag has its own instructions), very few illustrations (I really like my Shop Manual), and not even a packing list. So I vowed to provide a better solution to the forum...

The link below details our installation:
http://www.majgadget.com/81vette/su...leafspring1.htm

Hope this helps!

Blitz:blue:

Thanks very much. Briefly skimed it. It will come in handy for me. Thanks so much.

Chris

VBP said:
I personally recommend a 360 lb or higher rate for most any big block C3.

Me too... but mine was a small block. I had one on my old '78. Worked great and it was soooooo easy to swap it in.

Blitz
Awesome. I looked at the pic's....It will really help me out. Already getting prepped. Where did you get your C clamps? Did you have to buy or rent? Remember they say no question is a dumb question....Some are just not so bright...I will buy my spring and tackle this project later this month....
Again thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom