Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More C-3 Questions

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Hi All,

Hope you don't get tired of these questions, but I've got a few more about this '71 Coupe that I'm thinking of buying.

A little background: It's a '71 Coupe originally Brands Hatch Geen w/ Saddle interior; it's now Black w/ red interior. THe radio doesn't work, the odometer doesn't work, and the fiber optics don't work. None of these are deal killers for me and I've made my offer (US$23.5K) with the stipulation that I will fix the radio at my cost.

I paid a well now NCRS judge to go look at this car for the second time and he came back with a few observations;

1) Ext paint is VERY good

2) He's concerned about the non-original paint/interior combo and says that some of the dyed interior components are starting, very minimally, to show through to original color. THis doesn't bother me as I know it's a dye job and don't care; I lke the color combo.

3) He reports some rust on the radiator core support, but says it should be fine for "another 25 years. Again, no problem as far as I'm concerned.

4) Also reports some rust on t he rear two (2) body mounts that are riveted in. He was concerned about this and thinks that this fix could be a little pricey.

5) THere is no spare tier or even the spare tire carrier; this is a concern since I'm planning on driving this car back from SoCal to DE.

My questions are: Can someone enlighten me about these body mounts ? I'm not even sure which ones they are but he was specific that they are riveted in. Is this a PITA to fix ? Cost ?

The spare tire carrier doesn't seem to be all that expensive to replace, maybe US$ 250 - 300, but is it a PITA to hang a new one ?

I'm also thinking about revising my offer to him; I never even thought to ask if the thing had a spare tire or not, just assumed it did and now I'll to get a wheel and tire as well as the carrier unit.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

THanks,

Bernie O.

Dunno sounds a bit pricey for a non original car,sure its pretty on the outside its the inside and whats underside that counts.From the sounds of it somebody took a beat up vette and spent the money on getting it to look great and figured that most buyers see a great looking car and would assume the rest is in great shape too.Just by the fact of it having many of the accesories and the body mounts not working/done correctly Id pass on it for that kind of money. Also you diddnt mention what engine trans combo was in it. That goes a long way too as far as price goes.But id say this sounds like a 15k car than the price hes asking.

Black 81,

Its a base motor car (numbers match) w/auto, AC, PS, PB, PW and about 86.5K miles

Bernie O

I dont know how long you have been searching for a C3 but based on the description and a small block to boot I feel you can find something more correct than what you have here for a similar price. Maybe I am wrong here but I would do a bit more research before you dive in...remember there were no black Vettes in 1971. Do you have the documentation that it is an 86k car. My car has a legit under 80k but I have no docs .

Be very careful about the fiber optics not working, that could be a sign that the cr has had some major body work, and the guys that did it just cut the lines. I bought my 71 for $18,000, all the fiber optics worked. Mine wasn't a matching ##, but i'm fine with that, the rest of the car is quite nice.

DSC00121.jpg

I bought my number matching 69 vert for under 19K. It needs interior work and had a paint scatch on the drivers side door, but a solid frame and drive train. Granted I am putting some bucks into it now, but that is to get it to where I want it. Price is too high. I would keep looking. I expect you will ending up pitting more money into this car then you expect.

Hi All,

Hope you don't get tired of these questions, but I've got a few more about this '71 Coupe that I'm thinking of buying.

A little background: It's a '71 Coupe originally Brands Hatch Geen w/ Saddle interior; it's now Black w/ red interior. THe radio doesn't work, the odometer doesn't work, and the fiber optics don't work. None of these are deal killers for me and I've made my offer (US$23.5K) with the stipulation that I will fix the radio at my cost. Bernie O.

That's WAY over-priced for a car that's the wrong color, wrong interior, and has other issues as well. I'd pass on it and keep looking for a better car.

:beer

just for comparison I payed 11,900 for this 68 last year it needs some work I've since put roughly $2000 in it.
DSC03419.JPG

about $1200 went into the soft top, I still have more work to do but its drivable I agree you can do a lot better for the money you are spending.
DSC03637a.jpg

I have to agree. I've seen solid and correct cars at dealers for upper teens.

Tom

Thanks everybody for all your comments. Sounds like this car is at least a little over-priced. I really like the car, at least what I see of it and it has everything I want (AC, AUTO, PS,PB, etc....) Guess I'll have to see if I can negotiate some better pricing.

Thanks again for all your comments and I'll try to keep you updated on what happens.

Bernie O.

MikeMc71,

When and where did you buy your car ? It is SHARP !!! (I'll give you US$ 19K for it !)

Bernie O

LOL....thanks Bernie and Striker......my wife would KILL me if I ever THOUGHT about selling the car!!!

We bought it in California, and drove it back to Tucson. It was a long drive, but as my wife said, "It didn't suck"!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom