Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More with Electrical, Hot Coil Now

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
;help​

I've been mending wires and prepping the interior. From my other post, many of you know that my rear compartment light, warning buzzer stopped working and I'm in process of replacing the left hand door jamb & key warning switch. It would be nice if this is the problem.

Today I noticed that with the key ignition switched on, the coil heats up and gets really hot. What would cause a coil to get this hot? The engine still turns over and starts.

What a love-hate relationship I have with this old girl! Jeez!
:r

It's normal for the coil to get hot when the engine is not running. The points just happen to be closed and you've got juice going through it 100% of the time.

Not good practice to leave the ignition on when the engine isn't running. This will shorten the life of the points and coil accordingly.

It's normal for the coil to get hot when the engine is not running. The points just happen to be closed and you've got juice going through it 100% of the time.

Not good practice to leave the ignition on when the engine isn't running. This will shorten the life of the points and coil accordingly.

That's good to know. I don't generally leave the ignition on, but was trying to activate the key buzzer with the key inserted, and trying different scenarios (on, off, etc.).

Thanks Mikey.

Ralph

That's good to know. I don't generally leave the ignition on, but was trying to activate the key buzzer with the key inserted, and trying different scenarios (on, off, etc.).

Thanks Mikey.

Ralph

That's what the "accessory" position is for - doesn't provide power to the coil. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom