Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Motorheads...Need help with Vortec style heads, can they just be swapped?

I don't know of any good way to measure the compression ratio on an assembled engine. However, if your going to replace the heads the old ones are going to have to come off at some point. Why not pull them and make the measurements you need before you buy the replacements?

ok....here is the bottom line

I called Edelbrock Tech Support Line and after being on hold for an hour, got a live person. We talked about the E-Tech heads and their 64 cc combustion chambers. My stock compression ratio (called and got details from builder) is 9.8:1. Edelbrock Tech said that while I could switch my compression ratio will jump to 10.8:1 and the cut off for 93/94 octane gas is 10.5:1. His comments to me that if I wanted to run some race gas in their too, this would work just fine, otherwise it might be border line or actually have knock.

So, not wanting to take a chance....I sent in an email to Accel to find out about their SuperRam EFI. They have a real nice set up. Available is a dual output distributor that will not only provide RPM but also cam shaft position for sequential firing of the fuel injectors. Here is what I sent them and got back......

I have been looking and looking at switching to EFI. I have been told that the Accel SuperRam will work with my heads. Is this true? Next question I have centers around my cam shaft. I have gotten opinions from yeah it should work to no it won't work very good, you will have problems. Having said all that, what do you think? I found a web site that had a listing of Accel roller cams that complimented the SuperRam, but the web site said those cams were for Gen II LT4 type motors, didn't say anything about Gen I. So, can I use my cam? If not, what cam do I use? It looks like the Gen II cams won't work for some reason, so what do I do? Am I stuck just using my carb and intake? I really was hoping to find a way to get EFI in my car as I am making a resto rod out of it. Everyone has carbs, but not everyone has EFI...hence why I want to go with EFI. Please let me know what I can or should do.....thanksVehicle/Engine Specs:Make: ChevroletModel: CorvetteYear: 1960Engine Type: 383 StrokerTransmission: 5 Speed Tremec TKo600 Modifications: Generation I SBC, started out as 350cu in. Block casting number 3970014. Stock heads. Head casting number 3932441. Cam shaft: @.050 intake duration 224, exhaust duration 234 Intake lift .465 Exhaust lift .488 1.5 Rocker Arm ratio Shorty Headers with 2.5 inch side pipe chambered exhaust. Edelbrock intake with Holley 650 Ford 9" rear with 3.55 posiDiscussion Topics: fuelinjection
Solution:please call our DFI tech line at 248-380-2780

So as you can see they directed me to their Digital Fuel Injection Hot line. I called and sure enough they answered on the second ring!!!!! WOW!!!! After talking about my application and cam, the tech on the phone, Mike was very helpful. The durations were a bit much, but will work, especially since I don't have power steering to rob some of the vacuum. The lobe seperation for the cam is 114 degrees and that saves me.

So it looks like I am headed down this path.......also he told me that while they specifiy a cam grind for their cams, if I really wanted one of those, I could call their sister company, Erson cams and they will custom grind that profile for my Gen I motor.

So there ya go.....that is where I headed......

Herb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom