Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Mounting Courtesy light on kick panels

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hi everyone,

Quick question: The courtesy light snaps into a small metal bracket that is mounted with a rivet to the kick panel on the right side, but on the drivers side, there is no bracket and my light just hangs there by the wires.

Am I missing the bracket or is there somewhere else the light snaps into that I'm not seeing. I've got the kick panel off and there doesn't look like a place to mount a bracket to.

Thanks for any help :) ...BTW this is an '81

Jeff

If memory serves, driver's courtesy light snaps into the bracket beneath the dash with the headlight override, not on the kick panel.

AIM will show the correct location.

:)

Feel around under the dash lip for a moulded in depresson. The light housing snaps in.
It's a pain to get it seated. Pic shows the location of the light installed.
intlite2.jpg

I'm very curious if Jeff finds this place. I looked around but didn't find it (or didn't look far enough :) )

Groeten Peter

Thats is really wild. Last winter when I did the interior overhaul I couldnt find the bracket for the drivers side light. I too looked and looked for the holes in the kick panel. I finally fabbed a bracket like the pass, side and installed in the same location on the drivers sid. Oh well it all turned out ok in the end :chuckle

YES! I found it. Thanks for the help. The picture was a big help pointing me in the right direction to look. I just assumed it would be over by the kick panel, because thats the way it is on the right side.

I've got my plastic duct removed so getting my hand up there to feel around was pretty easy. I'll try to take a picture of it from underneath and post it tonight when I get home from work.

Cheers! :beer

I'll leave this post for those with earlier C3's but I just noticed that the OP has an '81 and my post is only going to help those with earlier cars.:duh

Just in case anyone needs to see the bracket.
Here it is in place.
speedwarn005.jpg

Here it is out of the car.
150_3600Small.jpg

The left hole is for the trip-meter rest cable. The center hole is for the speedwarning cable is so equipped, and the larger hole on the right is for the lamp.

Here are the pictures, one that shows the light mounted and the other just shows the indention on the back side of the dash pad. I've removed the plastic ductwork to get in there easier.

Thanks for the help, I would've never thought to look there to mount it...I even stopped by a couple of peoples houses that I didn't even know because they had cars similar to mine sitting in their driveways. Totally embarassed my daughter when I knocked on the door and asked to look and see how their lights were mounted :chuckle ! Both times the people were super nice and let me look, but both times their lights were just hanging by the wires...so you guys are a life saver.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom