Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD 6a, MSD coil, MSD wires

S

sothpaw

Does anybody know a good
place to buy these items?
Prices?

I have found a few places
online that might be ok,
but if anybody has a good
experience with some place
in particular, please pass it on!

Thanks!

I just picked up my wires,coil and HEI converison kit from my local performance shop (JB automotive here)

The wires (which were the custom fit to corvette model) were about 125 bucks, the coil was 100 (If I remember correctly) and the conversion was like 25

My MSD which is old will be replaced with a new 6AL with a 6000 Rpm limiter is going to cost me 375 bucks

These are also in Canadain prices so deduct 46% of my price total and you should be close within about 50 bucks.

The MSD stuff also is SO comparable place to place.. so shop for it but it won't take you long to realize that the quotes your getting are VERY similar.

I've moved up to MSD HVC box & HVC coil ... so I have following MSD parts available:
1. Good used MSD 6TN (pn 6401 sn 11589) Nascar Box ... like a 6A but is severe-duty and has harness for optional rev limiter.
2. Brand new in pack MSD Blaster High-Vibration canister-style Coil (pn 8222).
www.msdignition.com
JACK:gap

Online Or Catalog

Summit Racing has the 6a for $149.95, or the 6al with the built in rev limiter for $195.95, the Blaster 2 coil for MSD ignitions for $28.95 and the Heli-Core ignition wires for $49.95 or the 8.5mm Super Conductor wires for $58.95. The #1-800-230-3030. My $.02, it's a no brainer NOT to get the 6al box, for less than $50.00 you get an insurance policy against over revving;)

an insurance policy against over-revving? Doesn't your vette already have a rev limiter though? Mine does. I assumed the other years of my generation did.

TranceLT4,
I might just try the 3.73 rear gears
when my rear end goes up due to natural
causes.

What MSD coil did you pick? Blaster 2,
Blaster SS?
And I take it you used the MSD superconductor
8.5 mm wires? They sound great.

Any tricks to hooking it up for our cars?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack,
I'll be trying to get in touch w/you soon,
hope you haven't sold your ignition yet.
I assume it'll work with my car.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSD makes quality products, but having said that I would go with Crane Fireball HI-6 or an Accel 300+. I think that Summit and Jeg's will throw in the coil for around $180-$190. I just never liked the rev pills.

--Bullitt

Well, I placed the MSD box down in the well ahead of the tires (where the turn signals go), because its closer to the coil than the firewall. Yes, I'm using the MSD 8.5 mm wires, and GM single connector blaster coil PN8231.

I say DEFINETLY DEFINETLY get the harness for your specific vehicle, because it makes hookup a BREEZE. You can also unplug the MSD and reconnect the coil wires without it anytime you want. When you are trying to find possible causes of an ignition problem, its nice to be able to get rid of possibilities without tearing out equipment.

/Sothpaw ... Jack, I'll be trying to get in touch w/you soon, hope you haven't sold your ignition yet. I assume it'll work with my car.

Sothpaw: nobody's beatin' a path to my door ... your's if you want it. Though I've never done a C4 install, should not be particularly difficult to do ... just follow MSD's wiring diagram.

/Bullitt ... MSD makes quality products, but having said that I would go with Crane Fireball HI-6 or an Accel 300+. I think that Summit and Jeg's will throw in the coil for around $180-$190. I just never liked the rev pills.

Though I've got an extra MSD box... and another going into the 71 ... I agree that Crane has a nice spark box ... so good that a few cup teams are using them. Keep in mind that cup teams don't pay for boxes ... MSD & Crane (&others) give 'em to 'em. And Nelson Crozier (Nelson Specialties) http://www.nelsonspecialties.com/ has begun modifying Crane boxes (NS has done MSD for years) for cup teams. I swear by and run many Accel ignition parts ... but I'm yet to be sold on Accel box reliability. MSD pills can be PITA ... I got an adjustable MSD selector ... not as flexible as digital ... but good enough for me.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom