Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD 6AL Installation

Let it charge for an hour and she started right up. I need to finish securing the box and wires and will get it out on the road for my impressions. She did seem to start faster than she normally would have when she hadn't been run for a month.

The tach did not work using the standard connection on the side of the coil/distributor. It appears I will need to run another wire to the front of the car for this. Don't be intimidated by the term "Female Faston Receptacle" MSD uses. It is simply the connectors that you are used to working with. They come in different widths and I haven't figured out which one to use yet but will post this info when I figure it out.

Coupeman, where is this mysterious tach filter that I will need to remove?

Bob

Bob,
The Tach filter is a small capacitor on the intake manifold that has brown wires. It's in series with the coil and tach. The MSD sheet said to remove it. It has been workign fine for the past month.

Thanks Coupeman.

I have the tach working as well. I hooked a .25 inch female plug to the male plug on the end of the box for the tach and ran it to the tach. I thought the female end was on the box. Turns out I was wrong. Works even though I didn't get a chance to pull the filter first.

One hint on the tach wire. Position it before tucking the box away. I had a heck of a time getting my hand up in the front of the car to get the wire in the slot after placing the box.

I now need to trim the wires and get them all secured away.

I'll get it on the road this weekend and post some of my impressions.

BTW ... for those about to get an MSD box ... Motorville (1-888-463-0482) has the MSD 6ALN (nascar) P/N 6430 for less than $170. Summit gets $280 for same box. The 6ALN is like a 6AL but is heavy duty and with all guts potted in a thick resin ... and has a single weatherpack connector. I've had one in our circle track car for quite a while ... great box.
JACK:gap

I've got about 500 miles on it and have started to pull the plugs. The first two have a perfect tan color on them.

I want to regap them before putting them in. I think the stock gap is .035 but have read you can go a little wider with this ignition. What gap should I put on the plugs? Evidently the MSD site is supposed to have this information but I can't find it.

I checked with MSD and they recommend a 1 - 2 step down in temperature range on the plugs and a .015 to .020 increase in plug gap.

I just ordered some new MSD Heli-Core wires, thanks to JohnZ's recommendation, and should have the early next week.

FYI. Pep Boys is starrting to carry a larger supply of MSD components and there price is only a dollar or two greater than Summit Racing with no shipping.

New plug wires went in. Piece of cake, mainly because I elected not to go with the stock routing.

I ended up leaving the gap on the plugs at the .045 that the car came with after reading a couple of posts by Lars over at CF on the subject.

plug_wires_passenger_side.jpg

plug_wires_driver_side.jpg

Last project of the Winter for me. Paintdaddy takes the car for a new coat of paint next Saturday. :beer

Cool tech info.

I have a 6AL box and a cool 15 degree MSD timing control device that allows you to adjust the timing real time while driving.

Got them listed as a package for $150 (including standard shipping) if anybody is interested.

It came from my 85 Vette. I was going to run it in my 69 Camaro when I was putting a LT1 in there. Not that I am going LS1, I don't need it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom