Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD ignition on TTs

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Has anyone added an MSD to their TT? If so what type can you recommend.

People who has used an MSD on a normally aspirated Corvette seem to report a noticable benefit in efficiency, like smoother running and better economy. Is this the sort of mod you can make to a TT without any negative effects?

Hi

It is a safe mod but never found it necessary for street use or if you plan to keep the HP under 625hp.

Stan

I would say if you do it go with a newer digital model. First you might want to try a high output coil, really good wires, new cap and rotor and make sure you have the correct plugs (Callaway specified) in it.

Having said that, I do have a Crane Digital Hi-6 Ignition module sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. I'm still debating putting it in.

Thanks guys

My car has new champion plugs (Callaway specification), new cap and rotor and new GM wires. I shouldn't complain because it is about the best starting car I've ever owned (left for a week all I seem to do is touch the key and it burts into life). I just thought an MSD might be a good move, efficiency-wise, especially as I was thinking of replacing the coil anyway (I think it's the original item 12years old!!!)

Good read...

A short article on some of the advantages of this type of aftermarket ignition system. It gets into some of the things you can do with a turbo or SC application to optimize performance. One of these is timing retard control. It's about the Crane digital HI-6S but MSD probably has similar features available. Of course, this would only apply to someone who wants to "play around" with computer programming. It allows you to optimize the ECU programming for off boost conditions and then allow the ignition module to pull timing based on boost levels.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/magazines/0897chp02.htm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom