Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MUFFLER ADVICE ??

oh boy..... get ready for a deluge of answers that is gonna leave you going;shrug......i asked this question once about my 82.... sold it and still lose sleep trying to figure out what mufflers to put on it;LOL

oh boy..... get ready for a deluge of answers that is gonna leave you going;shrug......i asked this question once about my 82.... sold it and still lose sleep trying to figure out what mufflers to put on it;LOL

Isn't that the truth! I had to replace the mufflers on my '88 Corvette. The local Corvette shop recommended FlowMaster Classic Corvette with SS tips. They were really great and they were relatively inexpensive. That has been a few years though.:thumb

Take this with a grain of salt, as I still have the stock exhaust on my '93...

I rode (and drove) a '92 ZR-1 with an aftermarket exhaust on it. Headers too. Not sure the brand, but I think some of it was B&B, whatever that means. Anyway, the resonance inside at highway speeds was intolerable. I could feel my eardrums vibrating inside my head. :W

The only exhaust I've heard of that is proven to diminish resonance is Corsa. If I ever do an aftermarket system for my car, I believe it will have to be Corsa. So, I am practicing touching my toes so that bending over to pay for it will be just a little less painful.:Buttslap

For a 94, I would not recommed just replacing the muffers because additional improvement in performance may come in reducing restriction in the system ahead of the mufflers.

A good compromise between cost, performance and loudness is the Flowmaser "catback" for late C4s.

There may be some even less expensive choices but they'd be either just mufflers or, if they're catbacks, really "off-brand" parts.

There also may be some choices that offer slightly more performance than the Flowmaster but they will come at a higher price and will be louder.

I've written the same post for my 1995 convertable. The one thing out of all the replies I got that really hit home was this:

Ride in car that has an aftermarket exhaust system in it and see which one you like. Listen to the differences in tones and resonance. You may think it sounds cool for about an hour or so and then your head will start pounding from the drone. So far I've chosen to stay with the stockers.

Borla'$ and Corsa seem to be the top two brands that I've "tested" so far. Both are killer expensive for a set of pipes. Is 10-15 hps worth 1200 bucks ? I'm not sure,not yet anyway.
However, I have not heard a car with the flowmaster system on it.

good luck, keep us posted on your choice... :)

hello, im looking for performance mufflers for my 94 LT-1, any advice would be great, thanks.

I put muffler eliminators on my 96 LT4 a few years ago- I get resonance between 2.5 and 3 on the tach but most of the time I'm driving below or above that range - I love 'em. Quiet enough in normal driving and when I put my foot in it, it makes those rice burners tuck their tail and run home to mommy:_rock:_rock

I removed the resonator muffler ahead of the stock mufflers on my 93 coupe. I get a lot of comments on how nice it sounds and it only cost me $80,00 to have the resonator removed and pipe put in it's place. It is just my opinion but I believe there is very little to be gained in usable around town performance from the stock system.

Exhaust Opinion

The tone you are looking for is different to everyone. You are going to have to figure out what sounds best to you. Go to some Corvette club shows, and ask around and ask the owners to fire them up. You need to hear each option.
Corsa is high dollar, but well liked by most everyone who installs it. John Robinson's post is another option, and very cost effective. What you don't want is to pay for a quality system, only to find that you or the passenger cannot ride in it. Lately, a popular mod is to cut your stock pipe in the rear and install just a Magnaflow mufflers. If you don't like it, you can reattach the stock muffler (weld). Any change at all will change the exhaust note, with or without cats, with or without resonators, with or without headers. If you are particular, you have a lot of homework to do. Good Luck.

interesting !!

i like your idea alot and i think this is what i will have my muffler guy do and then just go with new chrome tips as well. thanks,
I removed the resonator muffler ahead of the stock mufflers on my 93 coupe. I get a lot of comments on how nice it sounds and it only cost me $80,00 to have the resonator removed and pipe put in it's place. It is just my opinion but I believe there is very little to be gained in usable around town performance from the stock system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom