Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mufflers

AlHewitt

Corvette
1996 LT4 CE Z51 - 2010 LT3 GS
I recently bought a 96 LT4 - CE with 20K on the clock and mostly stock. A previous owned had removed the mufflers and installed straight pipes out to the original tips. I previously owned a 96 LT4 and currently own a 94 ZR1 and both have stock exhaust systems on them and are enjoyable road cars. The first few times I drove the muffler-less LT4 the exhaust sound was… nice. A sense of power with the throaty roar, about like when I was 17 years old with my 57 Chevy. Well I’m no longer 17 and being able to have a conversation with someone driving down the road seems to be more important than the cool exhaust sound. So after the 800 mile San Francisco to Seattle road trip and several months of city driving I knew I needed mufflers on it. I learned that GM no longer supports the mufflers on these cars and looking at after market stuff left me wondering what the final sound would be. I found a complete Cat back system as removed from an LT1 car for $150! Mufflers and tail pipes appear to be the same, although the tell tell H–Pipe aft of the resonator is missing as were the fittings for the Cat aft - O2 sensors. I find out that the LT4 has 4 - O2 sensors, 2 in front and 2 aft of the Cats. The solution was to cut and install the mufflers and tail pipes only from the LT1 system. Yesterday I had this done… and wow, what a difference. The car is very quiet and the radio can now be heard at low volume levels. Missing is the highway resonance at above 40 MPH. Some of you will probable tell me to get a life and I must admit I did like the old sound, albeit occasionally. I see where the new C6’s offer a by-pass exhaust system. Maybe one of these is available as an after market item on our cars.
The LT4 is the best bang for any buck that I’ve seen. For the price I paid for it I could have gotten an older ZR1 but I have one of those and now after have 2 LT4’s I’m thinking about selling the my ZR1. What is the best forum to advertise and sell a ZR1?
Thanks
Al

I can't answer your ZR-1 question, but I whole heartedly agree with you on the noise statement. I recently bought an LT-4 and the previous owner had cut the mufflers off and replaced them with straight pipes. I HATE the cabin resonance. In the next few days I'll be going back to stock. I can't wait to drive and be able to enjoy the music or a phone conversation.

why sell the zr1? i have owned both as you do and the lt-4 cant enen compare powerwise . both my cars had headers and stk exhaust and the lt-4 was .8 slower at the strip. parts are harder to come by for the zr1 but they are pretty dependable .having one as a d d for 4+ years .it only stranded me once when the starter went out . they are your cars, but id thought if i were you id keep one each. good luck in what ever you decide

Try CORSA cat back on the LT4. You get the nice loud sound outside while being smooth and mellow inside.

Also, if you have the room and don't need the money, why not keep the ZR1?

I came up with a very quiet exhaust for my zr1 . jeal headers , 3into a magna flow xpipe in a muffler . then 23/4 with a small balance tube just as the pipes bend up after the diff to flowmaster530712 mufflers , cut the ends off my stk mufflers for that stealthy look . great power and quiet too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom