Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mustang Cobra vs Z06

Those numbers don't mean much to me. It does say that Chevy was honest, and that's good. I've always felt that the Vette responds much better to power upgrades than F-Body's or Mustangs, so I figure my money and efforts into upgrades is better done on a Vette than any ponycar.

Cobra vs Z06

I found it interesting that the Mustang was so much heavier. So many cars are high in HP and performance these days that it really comes down to a matter of taste.

The numbers indicate that they are close enough that the driver will make the difference.

I am not interested in mods. As another member puts it "once you open your wallet, all bets are off."

ZO6 vs Cobra

Well alot of difference in the weight. The biggest killer of speed is weight! The engineers that developed the ZO6 Corvette saved weight everywhere they could. I don't know about Ford, but the new 05' Mustang GT is a bigger heavier car.???? Why? Don't know. Ford had a chance to do something about it, and looks like they built the other Ford GT instead for $150,000.00. When the new 06' ZO6 comes out that will more than likely, settle that problem too.

Its about time someone laid all that out with proof. Its what we have been saying all along. The Ford guys are just in denial.

It just goes to show that it takes more than raw power to make a car go fast. The first thing that everyone thinks of is getting more HP. Getting more HP is probably the easiest way to make a car go faster, but it's not the only way.

The current Z06 will be a very fast car for years to come. I know that the standard for HP keeps going up and up. It seems like we're in a modern day HP war. You've got 4 cylinder cars putting out 200 HP these days!

I'd like to get a Z06 myself. Would I mod it? Of course I would! I would probably stick with bolt ons and then when the time comes, I would supercharge it. Anyone read that Car and Driver article on the supercharged C5's? 11.7 in the 1/4 mile in a totally street legal car (minus CA)? That's freakin incredible!

Looks just right to me. The SC'ed Cobras will put down a little more but, as mentioned they are heavier. They have a freakin' back SEAT!

With a little more boost and tuning Cobras can make more power. With a nice cam and heads pakcage, a Z06 will beat most of those. Add an SC to a Z06 and fugettabout it. :cool

Ahhhh.... all those extra pounds DO mean something!!!

How does the stock Vette with the A4 compare to the Conbra?

DarkShark78 said:
Ahhhh.... all those extra pounds DO mean something!!!

How does the stock Vette with the A4 compare to the Conbra?

:beer

I seem to see stock A4 vettes' torque convertors flashing above the norm and that helps them get off the line pretty well. If the C5 has a 2.73 gear, well it'll probably lose often. 3.15 equipped A4's will do better, but I don't know if you call that "stock" as that gear ratio is an option.

The SC'd Cobras are pretty torquey so it would be fun to watch/video. Anyone have some info on this? ;help

I owned a 1998 Mustang Cobra before getting my Z06.
It was convertible and really fun to drive!
I miss it a lot!

However, in terms of performance the Cobra lacks to the Z06. It is like night and day!

Do Cobras float?

theblackvette said:
I owned a 1998 Mustang Cobra before getting my Z06.
It was convertible and really fun to drive!
I miss it a lot!

However, in terms of performance the Cobra lacks to the Z06. It is like night and day!
So is that your old Cobra in the water? LOL:beer

I don't think the Z06 was intended to be a drag strip king. It was designed for road courses/tracks. It sure is fun hammering it doing the 1/4, but it's a hell of a lot moer fun bangging those gears in the twisties.

That's why I don't know why a lot of people compare these cars. They are completly different.

pk2401 said:
I don't think the Z06 was intended to be a drag strip king. It was designed for road courses/tracks. It sure is fun hammering it doing the 1/4, but it's a hell of a lot moer fun bangging those gears in the twisties.

That's why I don't know why a lot of people compare these cars. They are completly different.

I think it's mostly the non-Corvette guys that do that.

pk2401 said:

I agree the Z06 is a great road course racing car, but to compare any Mustang to a Z06 is not a good comparison at all.

I've had the priveledge of driving/tuning a few these in the last few weeks and unless you put big dollars down on some lowering/handling upgrades, mustangs ride like my Impala!....when it was stock!:crazy (I saw no smilies for floating in the clouds, sorry).

Good reply PK. Even if the ZO6 is faster in the 1/4 mile, I would really like to see the numbers between the two on a road course. That might make a few Ford lovers switch really quick. I have driven the 03 Cobra, and it is fun to drive. Wonder how a naturally aspirated Cobra would fare against a blown ZO6? Not too much pun intended.
:L
pk2401 said:

slong said:
Good reply PK. Even if the ZO6 is faster in the 1/4 mile, I would really like to see the numbers between the two on a road course. That might make a few Ford lovers switch really quick. I have driven the 03 Cobra, and it is fun to drive. Wonder how a naturally aspirated Cobra would fare against a blown ZO6? Not too much pun intended.
:L

Or how about a blown Z06 vs. a blown Cobra? Have you read that article on Lingenfelters blown C5? It covered the 1/4 in 11.7 and that wasn't even a Z06! :D

There are plenty of blown C5's running around IL

Edmond said:
Or how about a blown Z06 vs. a blown Cobra? Have you read that article on Lingenfelters blown C5? It covered the 1/4 in 11.7 and that wasn't even a Z06! :D
Edmond,

Get to the track brother! There are quite a few C5's running around that can do that and better.

Interesting article.

I didn't know the Cobra was underrated. Why on earth would Ford do that? That is a huge blunder in my book.

Brett said:
I didn't know the Cobra was underrated. Why on earth would Ford do that? That is a huge blunder in my book.
The reason they would do that is because in the ~2000 time frame they had claimed the Cobra had 320hp, but in effect it was only putting out around 280-290. So they had to have a TSB and have everybody bring thier Cobra's back in to replace the exhaust systems and retune them up to get them up near the rated power. At that same time, Chevrolet had underrated the Camaro Z28/SS (the Mustangs REAL competitor) at 305HP, which were really putting out 330-340HP with the LS-1.

They had many unhappy customers. So now they apparently decided to under-rate them to save them from having to do that again, and the embarassment associated with it.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

That's future plans for my 03Z. ;) Can't wait. :) Worst part about it is I just sent one to the IRS! :mad
Edmond said:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom