Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My 98 Vett won't start

D

Daves85

Thx in advance-- I bought a 98 coupe 2 weeks ago from a dealer with only 37000 miles on it..the dealer i bought it from said that he had VAT issues and sent it to a local CHEVY dealer and that they replaced the key switch.? "he did give me the receipt". Now i am having the same problem-the dash lites up-all the gauges power up when I turn the key on but when i go to start-nothing-zippo-not even a click.?? If i take the key out and put it back in ,then try to start it" after about 10 tries-it finally started.? could i have a bad pellet on the key ? it looks like the original key and i dont see where he was charged for one.??? I pulled all the codes and they r all HISTORY codes,nothing current.?
codes in SCM--0851-1016-1064?-1255?
RDCM--1016?-1064-1255-2265-2283-2285
LDCM--1016?-1064-1096-1255-2282-2284
I will try cleaning the key pellet- THX

Thx in advance-- I bought a 98 coupe 2 weeks ago from a dealer with only 37000 miles on it..the dealer i bought it from said that he had VAT issues and sent it to a local CHEVY dealer and that they replaced the key switch.? "he did give me the receipt". Now i am having the same problem-the dash lites up-all the gauges power up when I turn the key on but when i go to start-nothing-zippo-not even a click.?? If i take the key out and put it back in ,then try to start it" after about 10 tries-it finally started.? could i have a bad pellet on the key ? it looks like the original key and i dont see where he was charged for one.??? I pulled all the codes and they r all HISTORY codes,nothing current.? Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
thx again
Take a cotton swab and some alcohol and Clean the Ignition Switch contacts in the front and key pellet,I run into this all the time with cars I buy at auto auctions!!! Clean up boys spray that Slimy Crap all over everything and get it in the switch and then it gets on the key too!!!:upthumbs

The car has not been detailed inside since the new ING switch was put in,so the new switch should be clean as a whistle.If the dealer put a new switch in then how can the same old key work in the ing switch and still unlock both doors and the glove box.?, i am wondering if the dealer really put a new ing switch in ? i am really confused now.

The car has not been detailed inside since the new ING switch was put in,so the new switch should be clean as a whistle.If the dealer put a new switch in then how can the same old key work in the ing switch and still unlock both doors and the glove box.?, i am wondering if the dealer really put a new ing switch in ? i am really confused now.
They can be coded to your key!!!! I still think it's dirty!!!!:upthumbs

thx GM,
I will try to clean the pellet on the key and see what happens.Another member said that I could be dealing with a Starter problem? when dealing with a "No Cranking" problem,,how do we tell if its "VATS or Starter" issues.?R there any codes or tell tales signs to seperate the 2 problems ? or do I have to change the starter anyway as a starting point.?
thx again

thx for the reply,
i cleaned the pellet on the key and it still would not crank till i tried to start it about five times and then it fired right up..I pulled codes and there were no codes at all and no codes in history..it must be i am dealing with a bad starter after all{i guess}..on my 98 the manual says we have to remove the exhaust/header pipe to have access to the starter.? have u ever changed a starter in a 98---04 by chance.?
thx again

thx for the reply,
i cleaned the pellet on the key and it still would not crank till i tried to start it about five times and then it fired right up..I pulled codes and there were no codes at all and no codes in history..it must be i am dealing with a bad starter after all{i guess}..on my 98 the manual says we have to remove the exhaust/header pipe to have access to the starter.? have u ever changed a starter in a 98---04 by chance.?
thx again
The pellet is only the Easy half of the job!! If you take a flashlight and look close in this hole there will be 2 little brass contacts about a1/4 inch in one on each side!! Carefully clean both of them with a small cotton swab!!My wife gets little ones from her work that work great!!(She's a RN) I've got so I don't even carry my keys while I'm working because they get lint from my pocket that ends up in my switch!!;shrugAlso you may want to check and clean both of your battery cables before you put a starter on it,sometimes a bad connection will act that way!!;) Now if you do have to put a Starter on it,it is not a job you want to wright home about,I'd rather Pull my own teeth!! (and I do):chuckle
Anyway it's allot easier on a lift!!There is 4 bolts in the rear at the muffler pipes,2 bolts hold the rear hangers,2 bolts going in the bottom of the bell housing,and 3 nut's on each exhaust manifold and it comes out!!!(Don't forget to unclip the 2 rear Oxy sensor wires from the heat Shields (If I remember right there are 5 on each) and unplug them up at the front by the manifolds,( Don't let it stretch these wires!!) Now if your a Contortionist you can get the starter Off!!:upthumbs
attachment.php

Me too

I have a 98 Vette that acted similarly. She would not start, I would wait 15 minutes and she would start. My problem ended up being a broken wire from tbetween the ignition switch and the relay. Often, even when started and running the security light remained lit. In my case, the computer was only recognizing the pellet in the key sometimes. Good luck. Mine was very unpredictabke on when she would start and when she would'nt. Waiting was key as the the system has a wait time before allowing you to actually start again. A frustration but a few hundred dollars later I believe they found the problem.

Thx in advance-- I bought a 98 coupe 2 weeks ago from a dealer with only 37000 miles on it..the dealer i bought it from said that he had VAT issues and sent it to a local CHEVY dealer and that they replaced the key switch.? "he did give me the receipt". Now i am having the same problem-the dash lites up-all the gauges power up when I turn the key on but when i go to start-nothing-zippo-not even a click.?? If i take the key out and put it back in ,then try to start it" after about 10 tries-it finally started.? could i have a bad pellet on the key ? it looks like the original key and i dont see where he was charged for one.??? I pulled all the codes and they r all HISTORY codes,nothing current.?
codes in SCM--0851-1016-1064?-1255?
RDCM--1016?-1064-1255-2265-2283-2285
LDCM--1016?-1064-1096-1255-2282-2284
I will try cleaning the key pellet- THX

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom