Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My dreaded Firestone experience...

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I bought 4 Firestone SZ50's from Tire Rack and took them to the local Firestone dealer to have them installed.

I called the dealer up in the morning and asked him how much it would be to install 4 tires and he tells me $80. So I get there and talk to him, he takes down my information and says, "Oh the Corvette costs more than $80." So I asked him how much and he said about $140, including tax. Since I had my spare on and didn't want to lug 4 big tires around any more, I had them done there.

The next day, the rear drivers side tire is losing pressure. I take it back and they said that it was a nick on the rim. Okay, that was taken care of.

Then two days after that, I notice that they didn't put the tires/rims on the correct corners. So I go back and they give me the old, "We don't have time to do that tonight, but if you want to leave it..." I tell them no and at this point, I'm really fed up.

So I go onto the Firestone website and pull up their corporate HQ's phone and give them a call today. I told them that I don't mind paying more for quality work, but the work was shoddy and sloppy at best.

The Rep asked me what I want Firestone to do. I told him that I want the extra charge refunded to me. He put me on hold and called the dealer manager. The rep got back with me and told me to go in to get my refund for the difference.

I must say that Firestone has lost me in the sense that I will not take my car there for anything. Will I buy another set of SZ50's? I don't know, I like the tires a lot right now but I'll have to see how they age.

Wow! That is terrible. You would think that at $140 they would have not only put the tires on in the right direction, but greased your rear end while they were at it (that is a pun---get it, rear end---grease :D )

I don't think I have ever heard of a charge that high. I had the local firestone dealer do my SO2 tires, and I think it was like $50 to mount, balance..yadda yadda, yadda.

So how much of a refund are they giving you, and are you trusting them to flip the tires around the right way?

Yes, I've already had had the tires mounted on the correct side. I also received my refund of $60 in cash about 2 hours after I got off the phone with Firestone's HQ.

Sorry to hear about that experience with the money-grubbing freak who mounted them for you.

Just as an FYI, if you're buying wheels at the same time form the Tire Rack, have 'em mounted and balanced for you before they ship them. My experience with them was great; the new set arrived and all I had to do was swap 'em out. ;)

If you're not buying wheels, well... :L

_ken :w

Oh, by the way, I'm very much satisfied with my 'Stones. :upthumbs

I was extremely satisfied with the service that I got from the Tire Rack. The rep I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. Since I was planning on paying by Western Union, he gave me all the right information and sent me a confirmation e-mail.

Matter of fact, I may just get the brake pads from them. I'm seriously thinking about Hawk pads. I'll have to check through that Tire Rack site more thoroughly so I can give them my business! LOL.

Oh and one of the salesmen said that installing those tires, "Gave us hell."

Are they harder to mount/balance on the Vette that much more than say a Camry?

Sounds more like they just don't know what the hell they're doing! :hb

_ken :w

6 Shooter said:
Edmond,

Hopefully u got a little more rubber on da road than a toyoyo. :upthumbs

What do u have on your Vette, 255, 275 . . . .?

6 Shooter

275 40ZR 17's on all four. Bad thing I've noticed is that the tires are picking up a lot of small pebbles, etc... and I can hear them hit the plastic on the wheel wells.

I got Goodyear Aquatread 3's on my Camry and they've treated me well!:) It was about $425 for all four and I was treated very well at the Goodyear dealer.

Sounds like the problem originated at the local dealer level. If you like the tires, doing as Ken described or getting a shop's name from Tire Rack and working up front with a local dealer they suggest (some shops do a fair amount of business with them) should eliminate the problem. In fact, if you check with the dealer ahead of time, sometimes they will even beat Tire Rack's prices.

Edmond,
Sorry to hear about that. I think you just hit a crappy local shop. I have no complaints about the one I used. But like I told you before I bought the tires from them. I know a lot of folks are big on Tire Rack but when I costed out the SZ50s+shipping then paying installation it was pretty much a wash for me. The local guy really wanted my business. They didn't complain at all about mounting or balancing the tires. Very careful with the car. They opened the doors and left them cracked before jacking it up. Everything went fine. I've since had the tires rebalanced 3 times with them and had them do an alignment. I'm very happy. The only thing I didn't like was they wouldn't do an alignment using my settings. Factory settings or no deal.
I still think you'll like the tires after you get by this BS you were dealing with. And yeah they will pick up pebbles... So will most any tire that has big cleats to it.
Graham

You might have had the same experience with any tire store. Tire changers at Firestone get about 1 day of training if I remember correctly. And they will hire anyone who will show up for work! They don't pay them $20 an hour you know. I had a part time job in a store.
I have SZ50 on my 87. I like them. I might have to try a set of Kumho's when I wear them out since they are so much less money.

JS

I've had pretty good experiences with Tire Rack also. Fortunately I live within a couple hours drive of South Bend, so I just drive straight there and save on the S/H. They mounted and balanced the tires right there for something like 10 bucks a pop, and were very easy people to deal with.

Paul :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom