Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My first outing to drags

ernbuild

Corvette
91/ZR1
Hi to all.Being Ive only had my ZR1 for a couple of months now ,I finally got the chance to take it to Willowbank Raceway here in Brisbane. As part of our national convention at Easter, our club hired the raceway for the day, and I took the car for my first legal race. It ran low thirteens all day without missing a beat. Must say I am very pleased with it ,as she is totally stock except for twin 3inch exhaust,from the cats back. Top speed was 111 MPH,3rd gear run.
I should ask is this pretty normal for a 91 ZR1. Will by fitting headers this month and tracking down a after market chip, any suggestions for a chip would be appreciated. Cheers One Happy ZR1 owner. Ernie:beer

Cool, the runs sound great for a stocker. What were your 60' times? That trap speed shows a strong car.

For the chip, you can't go wrong with Haibeck. But there are also plenty of other great tuners as well.

I had great luck with corey henderson on the chip/prom tuning has has a great selection of tunes also just let him know EVERYTHING you got . his price is very resonable 2. henderson performance tech is the company name

Almost ready to go.

Cool, the runs sound great for a stocker. What were your 60' times? That trap speed shows a strong car.

For the chip, you can't go wrong with Haibeck. But there are also plenty of other great tuners as well.

Hi to all ,have now had a set of long tube tuned length headers made and fitted. Bought a Mark Haibeck performance chip and had the anti backfire set up done also. New water pump ,serpentine belt and tensioner pully. Just needs a good tune up and will be off to our club Indy Vette Sprints on the Gold Coast later this year. Hopeing to kick so snake butt. With the new chip do i replace it with the original to have the tune up done and then change it back or do i get it tuned with the modified one. Also I think the throttle is sticking ,what is the best way to fix it.
Cheers All hope to hear back soon. [Not many ZR1 s out here and not many mechanics that know where to start on them.] Ernie :beer

When you say "tune up" what exactly do you mean? You can leave the chip in if you are just replacing spark plugs, filters, etc.

For the sticking throttle, DO NOT clean the throttle body. The secondaries have this goop around them called "dag" that will get cleaned off, and you will end up with high idle issues. When you say it might be sticking, what is happening?

sticky throttle

When you say "tune up" what exactly do you mean? You can leave the chip in if you are just replacing spark plugs, filters, etc.

For the sticking throttle, DO NOT clean the throttle body. The secondaries have this goop around them called "dag" that will get cleaned off, and you will end up with high idle issues. When you say it might be sticking, what is happening?

I think it may be the cable, however what it does is rev highly and not return back to idle all the time. When I kick the pedal it does return ,some times quickly sometimes much slower. I now the ZR1s idled high at start up but this seems to be different and the new chip should have fixed this.
As for the tune up I have done plugs and filters But the car has been sitting idle for fourteen years, and a tune up seems to be appropriate.
My last vette was a 78 L82 , very warmed, so am not used to the computer generation of vettes yet. [so much to learn] :bash

thanks for the response Regards Ernie :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom