Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My first vette...can you help me with the oil?

AnytownUSA

Corvette
1994 Black on Black 6spd
Good morning,
I bought a 94 black on black 6 spd in January. I'm the second owner, it is only missing the ZR1 package and the run-flat tires as far as options. Owning a vette is even better than I thought it would be. Anyway to my qeusetions, the guy had receipts for every oil change for every 3000 miles of the cars life. He drove mostly around town, I do mainly highway - 30 miles one way to work everyday. I rarely drive it around town. I have a little over 5000 mile on the current oil. I getting concerned though, because the "change oil" light has not come on yet. I called a local chevy dealer and the service guy told me it was fine to wait until the light comes on to change it. Is this okay? Also, I saw, in Eckler's, a valve you can buy to replace the oil pan bolt. You just open it to drain close to fill/contain. The only advantage would be that I would not have to worry about the little rubber gasket on the pan bolt. Is this a good idea? Would RTV work as the gasket instead if I keep the original pan bolt? This car is incredible! I have never had engine related problems with any other vehicle I've owned and I don't wanted to start with this one. I had planned on changing the oil every 5000 miles, but if the light doesn't come on does it really need it? I've never owned a vehicle that monitored it's own oil before and I do not know how reliable these indicators are. Thanks for your help.

Mike,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Your Corvette's Central Control Module (CCM) calculates the lifespan of the engine oil by measuring engine rpm, and oil temperature over time.

Unless you feel that you've been driving the car hard at times, or your Corvette is consistently subjected to a dusty environment (areas of heavy construction), I would concur with the Chevy service guy.

Engine oil technology has advanced over the years, especially synthetic oils. Today's synthetic oils can see service up to 5,000-7,000 miles with out a problem depending, of course, upon driving and environmental conditions.

As for the drain plug, what's wrong with the one that's on the car now? Also, why would you have to worry about the rubber gasket on the inside of the plug? There's no need to change oil drain plugs if there's nothing wrong with the one that's on the car and there's no reason to use RTV on the gasket.

If you feel the rubber gasket is deteriorating, etc., I would just go to your local Chevy dealer and purchase a stock replacement pan bolt.

I have a 1990 Corvette that I've owned for 7 years now. I've used the same pan bolt since I've owned the car and I've done a lot of oil changes in that time. When I remove the bolt, I always make sure to clean it off, both inside and out as best as possible. The gasket is still just as new as the day I bought the car.

In essence, remember the old saying here: "if it ain't broke....don't fix it." :D

Glad to hear your enjoying your Corvette! :)

Oil change

Mike,

Welcome to the CAC, and enjoy the ride.

I would only repeat what Rob said about the oil change, but would add one thing. If you do want to change the drain plug I would op for the magnetic plugs that are available. I have never liked the easy drain systems because they drain easy, like when you don't want them to drain.

To give you an idea what I mean I had a car bottom out once, and as luck would have it, it struck the hex corner just right and knocked the drain plug loose. Somehow I checked the oil sooner than I normally would and found it was way low. Since I was to add nearly as much as it would take to change it, I decided on the change. When I got under it the problem was evident. I screwed the plug out by hand, less than one turn. If you look at the easy drains, they hang down even further, why take the chance to save a few seconds?

Thanks guys, that makes me feel alot better about the oil changing. The fellow I bought the car from told me to be sure that the "oil changer" replaced the old gasket every time the oil is changed. I assumed that someone at Chevy told him that. After he said replace it every time, I really didn't consider reusing the gasket. I looked at the gasket the other day; it does appear to be drying out - cracking around the edges. I'll have to replace it this time for sure. The only reason I was considering the drain valve was to eliminate having to get a gasket everytime (likewise with the RTV). I also did not know how stable they are and feared something like what you experienced Dad - but that's out now! I will look at the magnetic plug though.
Incidentally, how do y'all get under your car? I am rigging up a set of ramps, but they may be 6 feet long before I am confident that they won't rub my air dam.
I have a little convertible that I am supposed to be driving to work. Fortunately, the alternator went out right before I got the vette. My wife keeps asking me why I haven't fixed it yet - but I'm not in any hurry to get out of my vette! I LOVE THIS CAR.
One thing I did not expect with this car is the camaraderie. In nearly every vette that passes me, whether it be an old ZR2 or a brand new ZO6, the driver and/or rider always waves.
Thank you for your help. This website is awesome. The amount and depth of information I have found thus fas is incredible.

Actually, that's the first I've heard about replacing the plug gasket after every change. I definitely don't see a reason to unless, as you've noticed, it's deteriorating.

As for Corvette comraderie, waving to others as you pass by is just the tip of the iceburg....there's clubs, magazines, collectibles, Carlisle, the National Corvette Museum, Carlisle, NCRS, Carlisle....if you get the chance someday, go to Corvettes at Carlisle, usually around the last week of August in Carlisle, PA. You will be completely surrounded by fiberglass and enthusiasts as far as the eye can see. :D

Glad you're enjoying our site. :)

I went to Carlisle last year for the first time. It was worth the trip, make sure to bring money, no wife and lots of room for the stuff you will bring back.

After the oil change

Don't forget to reset the oil life monitor after you do your oil change. Check your owner's manual for the exact sequence of button pushes. I think it involves the ENG/MET button and the gauges button.

I'm glad you're having fun with the Vette. I just joined a club this Spring. I can't believe how many events there are! You could do something Corvette related every week (if you had the time and an understanding wife).

Don't forget to check out Bloomington Gold if you're in the midwest. June 13th - 16th

http://www.bloomingtongold.com/

Keep waving!

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom