Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My hood flew off

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
I though you might like this post from my other US forum . I had asked for the kind of adhesive that you use to re attach the support to the hood skin. I had said it was a long story and I would explain later.

This was one of the replies and my reply back.

....yeah I hate when the hood just flies off.
Happens all the time.....
.... tell us your version later
.... when you have a moment.

:shrug: :rofl:

Once upon a time, there was this man, he had a car that he liked to drive. I mean, he drove it all the time, rain, snow, sun, night, there was not a road that this man did not like....

Side note
No new corvette owner would ever lose his hood. It was designed to stay on even if the latches popped open. It hinges in the front and opens from the rear, wind would just push it down...

Only a 44 year experienced corvette driver can lose his hood and not because the hinges broke.

You see...it was like this. 3 years ago I was getting the car ready for the 48 state trip. The motor was back in, I had been driving the car without hood, bumpers, windows, trim for a while to break it in. The car was due at the painter the next day and...

I want to see what the car looked like with all the chrome , bumpers etc put back on. It was battleship gray, but I had the time , I put on all the stuff.

Now we come to the hood. I just put the hood in place, no bolts in hinges, pushed the hood down so that it latched.

I was just going to look at it...honest...here is a picture

readyforpaint.jpg

But, you know what happens. I started the car...I was only going to move it back to the garage, all of a sudden, I am going up my driveway, on to the road.

My heart is beating faster, should I do it ? I tell myself, I will only go 15 mph , only 15 no more...

I start down the road, keep it at 15, no problems, I am in heaven,

(I discovered the real reason for the hood coming off this week)

back to the story....so , I am driving along in first gear, I give it some gas and to my amazement the hood come flying over the windshield. By some unbelievable movement of my arm, I knock the hood up and off to the side....meanwhile, I am driving the damm car , trying to stay straight, and slowly I pull off to side of the road,

I could not imagine what I was going to find when I started walking back to where I thought the hood landed. And there is was, on its back on the grass, without a scratch or crack . However, the adhesive that holds the tabs on the support member to the skin had broken lose.

That is when the police officer came up to me...but that is another story.

I just got around to fixing it. ( The reason the hood came off, it was blow off by the radiator fan, not my driving speed. I stepped on gas in first, lots of air from fan, pushed directly up on hood that had no bolts holding it to hinges. )

Thank you JohnZ for the information on adhesive product. I picked up a Loctite brand as show in pictures.

All the tabs had broken lose from the skin during the flip and landing. You can see the thickness of the "gumdrop" original adhesive. I used a chisel to knock most of the stuff out in one piece as shown.

I will let it cure for 3 to 5 days since it is still cold in my garage. Give it a paint job and put back on car. A mess, just like from the factory !

The car is packed 48 states await - Page 79 - Corvette Forum

1Carreadyforrepair_zps76e3e15a.jpg

2onground_zps51353189.jpg

3SmallHamerchisle_zps8ab572de.jpg

4Originaladhesive_zpsf6aba105.jpg

5RoofingAdhesive_zps39880bde.jpg

6Originalgumdrop_zpse2ef2b41.jpg

71-8inchthick_zps29fbcc8e.jpg

8Tabs_zps3ead362c.jpg

9newseal_zps698faf27.jpg

10Alldone_zpsceb6dc83.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures and an interesting explanation!!

-Mac

:boogie Only you Jack!

OK, That's funny :rotfl

I had a roof blow off my Callaway back in 87, but I was going 120mph
:beer
i10fwy

A woodworking teacher I know, would be appalled at the way you use that chisel! :L

Maybe.........:wtcslap.............:L

Trim and Hood finished

I am continuing with engine bay clean up and maintenance. The hood has been repaired and painted. My heater motor, still works but has a loose bearing, and rattles when turned on. I had thought it was the fan hitting the enclosure, but after taking motor out and bench testing it, the motor itself rattles. I can move the shaft in and out about 1/8" or more.

I have ordered a new motor as I don't believe you can take the motor apart. Only $29 from Zip Products for a new one. I will use the old fan as it is still in good shape.

Even though I completed a restoration of the engine bay only 3 years ago, 50,000 miles will produce a little dirt and grime.

On the trim, the photos show how I put on the front piece. It is very important to make sure the there is room under the rubber, to slip in trim. Soap and cleaning out all the sealer from windshield install will help.

I should have the car back together in a few days.

Motor Fan Overflow

Trim need to find midpoint

Job done

Hood

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom