Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My muffler fell off!

wishuwerehere82

Corvette
Red '82 Coupe,Sebring Silver '98 Coupe
This morning I went to jack up the rear end to take my wheels off to get the tires balanced and my right pipes were hanging at an angle. I touched the tip of the pipes and the muffler pipe fell off the Cat pipe at the flange. The weld has broken loose at the flange on the long pipe with the Cat on it.
I found a welding shop that can re-weld the flange back on, so I took off the whole system from the manifolds back to the mufflers. It was OK when I drove it yesterday, but the pipe just fell off sitting in the garage overnight. Wierd!
Hopefully I can get it welded tomorrow and be back on the road by the weekend.

Had that happen to me 400 miles from home , hit a bump and off she came

6 Shooter said:
How about using some high heat tape? ;shrug

6 Shooter

I would expect that from 74 Bigblock, but from you?
Nope! Welding it is the right thing. The only thing, unless I feel like getting that new Corsa system that I can't afford.

wishuwerehere82 said:
I would expect that from 74 Bigblock, but from you?
Nope! Welding it is the right thing. The only thing, unless I feel like getting that new Corsa system that I can't afford.

:w hi!

I know they're nice, I just don't have any money right now.
I have been out of work for over 1-1/2 years now and am running on empty.

WELL, There's a happy ending to this story that wasn't expected. After having the flange rewelded the rotation was off a little so that the pipes were riding a little higher on the right side. So I used some slightly smaller diameter Stainless steel bolts that allowed me to rotate the flange so that the pipes looked the same from the back.

The whole story started with me taking the rear tires off to them balanced after feeling some shaking in the steering wheel. After having 3 tires balanced the tire store said that I had two wheels out of true. The car shook worse than before I had them balanced after all the running back and forth to the tire store one wheel at a time.

This morning my mother called me at 8:00 and wanted me to come over and help her get off the bedroom floor. She slid off the bed and just couldn't stand back up due to low leg strength after breaking her leg a few years ago. My neighbor and I went over and helped her get back on her feet and she wasn't injured at all, so we drove back home.
While we were going 35 MPH we heard a BANG from the rear wheel and he saw something head for the side of the road in the side view mirror. We went back and found a 45 Gram balancing weight laying by the roadside. Great! I just paid for that balance job! :mad
A few minutes later we got on the highway and there was no shaking at all! They apparently put too much weight on one wheel and that was what was causing the vibration.
A few seconds later 7 deer ran across the highway in front of us and I slowed down real fast with my new drilled and slotted rotors.:ugh I missed them, they missed me and all is right with the world.:) I drove all afternoon and there is no shaking at all at any speed.
The end.

Pete.

wishuwerehere82 said:
We went back and found a 45 Gram balancing weight laying by the roadside. Great! I just paid for that balance job! :mad
A few minutes later we got on the highway and there was no shaking at all! They apparently put too much weight on one wheel and that was what was causing the vibration.
A few seconds later 7 deer ran across the highway in front of us and I slowed down real fast with my new drilled and slotted rotors.:ugh I missed them, they missed me and all is right with the world.:) I drove all afternoon and there is no shaking at all at any speed.
The end.
Pete.
Wow!
I like good endings. You must have been living right. :m

Sometimes in life ....we have to go around Jack's Barn several times before things get right......Glad things worked out for ya !!!!!

I can't tell you directions, but I know for sure I've been there a few times.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom