Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My new performance chip...

92BlackRose said:
What kind of horse power gains or 1/4 mile performance gains if any would you see on one of your burned chips on a stock 1992 LT1 automatic?

Thanks

I don't have dyno #'s or 1/4 mile #'s for any that I have done so far..

Jeff's chip

I have a stock 88 Vette. How much of a difference can I expect to get with one of your Chips. What all do you change to increase the performance? This is my first vette and I am looking to upgrade just a little bit, to give it a bit more get up and go. Also, what does one of your chips cost? What info would you need to know about my Vette? I definitely want the fan to come on sooner.

Re: Jeff's chip

Yarls24 said:
I have a stock 88 Vette. How much of a difference can I expect to get with one of your Chips. What all do you change to increase the performance? This is my first vette and I am looking to upgrade just a little bit, to give it a bit more get up and go. Also, what does one of your chips cost? What info would you need to know about my Vette? I definitely want the fan to come on sooner.

I change a few different tables to increase throttle response. I have a my PROM in Edmonds 88 and he seems to like it..

email me at vettxtc@attbi.com for pricing

Jeff,
Got a question for you on reprogramming since you get into this area quite well. In my92 I added the Ed Wright chip and the 160 thermostat which he requires. Mainly because his off the shelf chip turns the fans on at 180 and off at 170.
Now I'm thinking about pulling the 160deg stat and putting the factory 180deg stat back in for winter. So I'll need another chip with a different fan on/off temp setting. With the factory stat the car typically runs about 195deg.
I was thinking about on@200 and off@190 but I'm not sure the engine will ever cool back down to 190deg and the fan may run all the time after the car warms up.
Do you have default numbers you like to use on the LT1 with a factory 180 stat ??? Can you give me some ideas on what temp settings do well for the chips you burn?
Graham

vms4evr said:
Jeff,
Got a question for you on reprogramming since you get into this area quite well. In my92 I added the Ed Wright chip and the 160 thermostat which he requires. Mainly because his off the shelf chip turns the fans on at 180 and off at 170.
Now I'm thinking about pulling the 160deg stat and putting the factory 180deg stat back in for winter. So I'll need another chip with a different fan on/off temp setting. With the factory stat the car typically runs about 195deg.
I was thinking about on@200 and off@190 but I'm not sure the engine will ever cool back down to 190deg and the fan may run all the time after the car warms up.
Do you have default numbers you like to use on the LT1 with a factory 180 stat ??? Can you give me some ideas on what temp settings do well for the chips you burn?
Graham

Graham, I would also set the fans for on at 200 and off at 190. Remember once the car hits a certain MPH the fans will turn off anyway since air it moving (I think the setting is 35mph) so I think with the 180 T-Stat and the 200 fan turn on you will be happy.

How about an '82 ???

Jeff,
My 82 has a new ECM, the old one had the original PROM in it. The mechanic that changed it out gave me the old ECM & I'm assuming that he took the old PROM from it & placed it in the new ECM since it's missing from the old one. My car is all original, no mods except it doesn't have the electric fan. I do plan to someday install a new fan, although I don't seem to have issues with running too warm. I'm hoping that maybe a new PROM may fix my problem with the cold idle of my car. When 1st started it runs like it's running on 7 cyl.'s & does a little hunt idle "surge" until the engine warms up then it runs great. I have noticed lately that it's running better at first now that the weather is getting so cold but once it idles for about 15 sec. it begins to buck again until warm (about 5 min.). While it's running bad it seems to have a strong exhaust odor, like maybe it's running too rich. Do you think a new PROM could help get me a smooth idle & can you make one for the 82? BTW, everything else imaginable has been done to fix this problem except for a new O2 sensor & nothing's touched it. If you think it's worth a shot, how much $$ do you charge for the new chip? Thanks, Jim
;help

Re: How about an '82 ???

jim's82 said:
Jeff,
My 82 has a new ECM, the old one had the original PROM in it. The mechanic that changed it out gave me the old ECM & I'm assuming that he took the old PROM from it & placed it in the new ECM since it's missing from the old one. My car is all original, no mods except it doesn't have the electric fan. I do plan to someday install a new fan, although I don't seem to have issues with running too warm. I'm hoping that maybe a new PROM may fix my problem with the cold idle of my car. When 1st started it runs like it's running on 7 cyl.'s & does a little hunt idle "surge" until the engine warms up then it runs great. I have noticed lately that it's running better at first now that the weather is getting so cold but once it idles for about 15 sec. it begins to buck again until warm (about 5 min.). While it's running bad it seems to have a strong exhaust odor, like maybe it's running too rich. Do you think a new PROM could help get me a smooth idle & can you make one for the 82? BTW, everything else imaginable has been done to fix this problem except for a new O2 sensor & nothing's touched it. If you think it's worth a shot, how much $$ do you charge for the new chip? Thanks, Jim
;help

Jim, Sorry right now I am just doing 86-93 PROMs.. I have not dealt with the older type ECMs. I don't know if the PROM would help you, but it might. i would suggest trying to get a stock replacement PROM for your ECM. It sounds like the calibration in the Stock PROM may be bad, since it clears up after it is warm.

Jeff

Thanks for getting back with me.... I'll install a new one & see what happens. I have read that there has been one updated chip since the original & it had to do with spark plug foiling issues. Maybe that's just what it needs.

Thanks again, Jim
:SANTA

PS - just got 5" of snow last night & their predicting more, I'm going to have to "patiently" wait now to play with the "toy" (as my wife calls it).
:(

Chip location

I don't have a clue of the location of the chip on my 84 vette. Can I use a new one on my car? Please advise!!!! Thank you

Jeff,

How much does sucha chip cost?

I have the Hypertech Stage II right now and it is okay. My car passes Wisconsin emissions but I could always use MORE POWER! Would your chip improve things very much?

I have a stock engine with auto and 2:59 rear gears. I have stock exhaust but plan to put on a set of Flowmasters this summer. I have a 160 deg F thermostat and would want the fan to come on at about 190 deg +-. Car is used mainly on weekends for casual drives. No other mods are planned. It needs to pass emissions in Wisconsin however.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Regards,
Radar ;help :BOW

Radar said:
Jeff,

How much does sucha chip cost?

I have the Hypertech Stage II right now and it is okay. My car passes Wisconsin emissions but I could always use MORE POWER! Would your chip improve things very much?

I have a stock engine with auto and 2:59 rear gears. I have stock exhaust but plan to put on a set of Flowmasters this summer. I have a 160 deg F thermostat and would want the fan to come on at about 190 deg +-. Car is used mainly on weekends for casual drives. No other mods are planned. It needs to pass emissions in Wisconsin however.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Regards,
Radar ;help :BOW

Email me at vettxtc@attbi.com for detail.. please include a list of your mods

Jeff, Hi. I have a stock 1986 with iron heads and the trans is auto. Not sure what rear end gears are. Have a K&N filter. Would like to know what the price would be for this. garylt.

Yeah jeff, how much are they? And do you ship overseas? The guys over here made me pretty curious... ;-)

My brother talked to him about a year ago, and he said that he wasn't doing them anymore....Good luck guys.

Wow, talk about digging a thread back up! :L:L:L

Performance chip

Jeff I'm new to this forum but I would like to also purchase a chip. I sent you a PM ( private message )at least that is what the `67 to `72 truck site called it. I clicked on your name and a message page came up. I sent you the specifics on my `87 engine mods. I would like you to burn a chip for my car.

Bob in NW Pa.

Jeff I'm new to this forum but I would like to also purchase a chip. I sent you a PM ( private message )at least that is what the `67 to `72 truck site called it. I clicked on your name and a message page came up. I sent you the specifics on my `87 engine mods. I would like you to burn a chip for my car. Bob in NW Pa.
Bob,The thread is 12 years old and the last time it was updated was 8 years ago. Like the previous posts said, Jeff is no longer doing these and hasn't for a number of years...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom