Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: My Odometer Comes on when I start the Vette

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
Hello,

For the last couple of weeks when I start the car after it's been sitting for a while, the odometer display comes on a stays on until I cycle through the display. After the car is warmed up and I turn the engine off then on, ithe odometer doesn't display

Any clue as to why this is happening and is it indicative of a problem?

Thanks ;shrug

Mine is set to rear tire pressure at the moment, so it goes something like:

Corvette, by chevrolet, blank, then shows the pressures.

What do you normaly keep it set on? (if you say milage, Im gonna kick you) :D

Also, dont remember last time I disconnected the battery to work on the car, but it may reset the DIC to milage (is your battery good? use a float charger when its parked extended?)

Actually I didn't think I had it set to anything. And if I did, it certainly wouldn't be mileage. I bought a Vette for it's speed, handling and overall coolness.

But since you mentioned the battery, once, about a week ago when I started it, the DIC flashed a "system charge fault" but it only happened once so I didn't think to worry about it. The gages for the battery are all in the normal range.

I use it as a daily driver so there's no issue with standing for extended periods.

But I will put a charger on it tonight and see how it goes in the morning (that's when it happens).

Thanks, for the advice :beer

I'll write back tomorrow

I like this guy Jistari.He seems to know his s---!just read his thread on tuning!:thumb

Heykids I'm back. Been out of town for a few days.

Anyway, the battery checks out to be OK and the odometer still stays on when I start the car

Last night was a little cooler and one of my tires dropped some pressure and when I started it the low tire pressure warning came on and no odometer. After the tire warmed up I turned the car off then started again and there it was, the odometer came back on.

I don't really mind so much that it comes on when I start up, it's a small nusiance to press the trip button a few times after each start up. But I'm just curious that it may be an indication that somethings wrong. Or maybe I somehow inadvertently set it up to display on all start ups.

I'll look for Jistari's thread on tuning.

Thanks

Heykids I'm back. Been out of town for a few days.

Anyway, the battery checks out to be OK and the odometer still stays on when I start the car

Last night was a little cooler and one of my tires dropped some pressure and when I started it the low tire pressure warning came on and no odometer. After the tire warmed up I turned the car off then started again and there it was, the odometer came back on.

I don't really mind so much that it comes on when I start up, it's a small nusiance to press the trip button a few times after each start up. But I'm just curious that it may be an indication that somethings wrong. Or maybe I somehow inadvertently set it up to display on all start ups.
No,I guess I wouldn't either being thats the way it works!!:D
If you have it set on Average Fuel Mileage,Thats what will pop up at start up!!If you have it set on Instant Fuel MPG,Thats what will pop up at start up!! If you have it set on TP Front,Thats what will pop up at start up!!If you have it set on TP Rear,Thats what will pop up at start up!!:D
If you have a Owners Manual,Read it,There is lots of useful Information in there!!:thumb If not,Get one!!:beer

PS If it senses a Low Tire,ABS,Traction Control,Active Handling,Charging System and other Power Train Issues it will advise you of that Too,or turn on the appropriate warning light!!

Could it be memory?

If you have the memory function (seat, radio, settings, etc.) - I can't remember if it is standard equipment - that could be the culprit. If you change the display setting but don't save it with your seat memory, then when you hit the unlock button to get back in the car, it resets your display setting back to what is in memory, doesn't it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom