Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My seats don't inflate!!!

DC/NH

Corvette
94 Polo Green 6 Speed Coupe
First I disconnect my CAGS and my shift light stops working.

Now my sport seats don't inflate when I hit the adjustments! It has been intermittent before and I can hear the click sound of the juice getting to the switch. But the seats don't pump up what do I do???

hmm

i own a 85' and i just wish i had air seats

crap i just wish i had broken ones, as well

id still go with those,, hehe

I guess I was hoping for advice. I didn't think the bladers were gone since this happened intermitently before. It almost like the pump doesn't engage?

Sorry I can't help either but someone will be along soon who will be able to help you out.

Goodluck to you,

Rick

Can you run the air pump by jumping directly to 12v? Maybe the pump is OK but the switch is bad. If the pump runs when you jump it to 12v does it inflate the seat? Maybe the pump diphragm is deteriorated and has a hole in it. I had that problem with mine and just replaced the diaphragm and all was well again.

Seat pump

My problem is when I took off the seat pad I can't figire out what thing is the punp and where the bladder is and what tghe other black box is. Also does it make sense that both seats go at the same time?

My pump works, but the bladder doesn't hold air.

We all have our little let downs.

DC/NH,

I got your email this morning but haven't had a chance to really research it. I need to know a little more first.....

When you press the buttons to inflate the lumbar support, you can still hear the pumps run?

Both seats were inflating and now are not inflating?

By the way, you had asked where I lived in NH. I lived in Windham up until two years ago. I lived there most of my life and hung out mostly in Manchester.

Dennis,

Just got your email.

I cannot explain why both pumps at once would stop working.

I don't think it's an electrical problem since when you press the buttons, you hear the pumps run. If there was an electrical problem, or a blown fuse, you wouldn't hear anything at all.

Let me look through my service manual and see if I can find a diagram that shows the pump, location, connections, etc.

In the mean time, I would suggest you purchase a service manual for your Corvette prior to conducting any diagnostics or repair work.

I will post back here tomorrow with (hopefully) more information. It's 1:00 am and the eye lids and fingers are already in bed! :D

Sounds to me like the diaphragms in the pumps are bad. There are several methods used to repair the pumps, but the most cost-effective method I've heard was to use a piece of rubber gloves cut to fit. The pumps are easy to spot; they have the clear tubes running to them that carry the air to the bladders in the seatback. ;)

• Buy a pair of latex rubber gloves.
  • Remove the lower seat cushion. Typically, the wires are long enough that you can simply move the cushion out of the way.
  • Mark the air lines which connect to the side of the lumbar adjusting pump (for correct placement during reassembly) and remove the lines. Also, disconnect the pump electrical connector.
  • The pump is held to the seat frame by 3 nuts & bolts. Remove the nuts and bolts, and remove the pump from the seat frame. Note: I was able to remove the pump with the seat in the car. A friend of mine needed to take the seat out first.
  • On one end of the pump, you'll notice 2 small Phillips head screws which secure a plastic retaining plate over the end of the pump. Remove the screws and the retaining plate.
  • With the retaining plate off, you'll see a small plunger inside the pump. It may or may not be connected to the motor shaft (small end of plunger) and the diaphragm assembly (large end of the plunger). Remove the plunger and set aside (Don't worry if you tear it loose from the old diaphragm).
  • Remove the diaphragm/frame assembly (square thing on the side of the pump body with 4 nuts and bolts). It will slide off the pump body.
  • Remove any debris you find in the pump body, and set the pump aside.
  • The diaphragm/frame assembly consists of 2 plastic frames which sandwich the diaphragm in the middle. Remove the 4 nuts and bolts which hold the frames together, split the frames apart, and discard what remains of the old diaphragm.
  • From the cuff of one of the "expensive" latex gloves you bought, cut out a piece the size of the diaphragm frame (make sure the piece is smooth, and not textured or it won't seal!). Trim the new diaphragm until the frame fits together. Once you have a good fit, remove the new diaphragm.
  • You may have noticed that the plunger is also two pieces. The diaphragm is sandwiched between the plunger and a retainer which is attached to the plunger end with a small screw. Remove the retainer and discard any old diaphragm remnants. Center the plunger on the new diaphragm, place a SMALL dab of silicone rubber sealer where the screw will penetrate the diaphragm, and install the retainer.
  • Place the plunger/diaphragm assembly into the frame and reassemble with the 4 nuts and bolts (bolt heads installed so they will be inside the pump body).
  • Slide the plunger/diaphragm assembly onto the pump body, making sure the plunger end slides onto the motor shaft.
  • Replace the plastic retainer and screws to secure the plunger/diaphragm assembly in place.
  • Reassemble the pump to the seat frame, and reconnect the various air and electrical connections, replace the lower seat cushion.

Courtesy of Jim Mason.

_ken :w

I went thru everything I could. The electrical is getting to the pumps but I just get a click. I have the sport seat option on both seats and both seats stopped working at the same time so I am wondering if the 94's have one pump working for both.

There was this part under the passingers seat I took out because the click seemed to come from there and it was a end point (I was using the test light on the other connectors) It is a round black plastic cylender about 5.5 inches long by 2.25 inches in diameter.

It had one plug in and one hose going in. The hose then went to a box next to it that had about 6 lines going out. Each seat had one of these boxes with multiple lines.

I am wondering what is this part? and what could be preventing the pumping sound?

It sounds like you disconnected some thing which caused your pumps to stop working. I took my seats out and worked on the pumps and had a simular problem. I have an 85, so I am sure it will be different.

As I started connecting all the cables back the lumbar and the pumps stoped working. What amazed me was that some connectors (which would connect male-female) were incorrect. Basically the wiring harness was not idiot proof!!!!!!

My suggestion is to try and logically go through the harness and switches (with a test light or volt meter) verify that all is well. This is what helped me. It also would not be a bad idea to use a wiring diagram and verify no issues.

What you will need to do is find the input power connector and disconnect. Then perform a continuity test, verifying that as the switch is turned on, power will flow.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I just spoke to a parts guy from a dealership and he said that the part I took out is the pump and my year had one pump for both seats. I am wondering if there is anyway I can test the part and looking for a source (assuming it is broke) to get a used or discounted one.

Any ideas?

Tom/Rob,

Thanks for the tips! I'm getting juice to the pump and i will take it to an electrical place to have it tested. I am having the damnest time locating a discount part outlet on the web. It seems that no one recognises my GM part number but the dealership ($212).

If the motor OK I am back to square one and i need to get a wiring diagram for my yr.

I wish these diagrams were available online.

I would post a wiring diagram, but it would be from a 1990 service manual and chances are it would be outdated as compared to your model year.

Update!!

Well with Tom's post I began to think and went back to the car and retraced my testing. The main group of wiring that comes from under the right seat splits into two groups. One group goes to the seat trach and that all works fine. The other group goes to the sport seat 6 way adjustment pump and bolsters and the pump is what doesn't work.

I went back to the large 10-point plug that starts the sport seat action and tested all 10 wires as I press the adjustment console buttons.

Pink OK Grey OK
Brown OK White OK
Yellow OK Black doesn’t light
Purple OK orange Light all the time press buttons or not
Red Doesn’t light Black doesn’t light

Can anyone tell me what this means and what should I be checking or doing next?
I will still have my motor checked.

Thanks I know I have been a pest but I keep thinking I can fix this thing.

I'm sure you'll be able to; you really need more info. Some public libraries have Vette shop manuals, btw. That or a cheap Chilton's with a wiring diagram.

I know that the pump is expensive, but realistically, unless the car's been messed with, it's the most likely culprit. Be sure to check the fuses, though.

You may also be able to find a shop that refurbishes pumps and that might be able to check it. Also, there are shops that salvage Vettes and sell the parts...

The 94-96 pump is apparently for both seats; the prior version had two (so the wiring diagram wouldn't work, either). Unfortunately, it costs more than both put together.

Well its not over yet but I had my pump motor tested and its not working. $212 to replace and I can't find anyone with a used part or discount.

I took it to a repair shop and if the armature is not broken they may fix it for 50-75$.

The 94's with dual sports seats have only one pump motor and i couldn't find this info anywhere. When I went to the parts dept at my local dealer he said he has never sold one???

This info may help someone else, is there a way I can add this to a data base for others?

That is when I finally get it fixed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom