Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

my starter: broken or heat problem?

69L88clone

Hello Gentlemen,
Twice I've had problems with my starter not working on really hot days. After driving for a while if I shut off the car & attempt to restart I'd get nothing. If I hit the starter with a hammer she'll start right up.
Is this a bad starter or is it a heat/insulation problem, or both?
Clueless in NJ

Helo Again. I just checked the archives. Sorry, I should have done that first. What a treasure trove this place is!
I guess my problem is "heat soak". I'll investgate putting on a heat shield & heat blanket. If thatdoesn't work then I guess I will need to change out the starter.
Thanks Gents.
Jim

Hello Gentlemen,
Twice I've had problems with my starter not working on really hot days. After driving for a while if I shut off the car & attempt to restart I'd get nothing. If I hit the starter with a hammer she'll start right up.
Is this a bad starter or is it a heat/insulation problem, or both?
Clueless in NJ
Probly both!!!How long has the starter been on there?????
Dose it have a Heat shield on it??:upthumbs

It was on there when I bought the car, 6 years ago. I'll have to check to see if I already have a heat shield.
Jim

I tried putting that heat shield blanker on the with out taking the starter off the car and was not succesful. I had the same the same problem then I discovered a exhust leak right the starter when I fixed that it solved my problems. I would just replace the started and put the heat shield on also the blanket to be safe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom