Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My wipers have become self-aware.

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
Much like skynet realising that doing whatever it wants is cool, my wipers have decided to adopt a similar frame of mind. They keep going despite my toggle commands to stop. My windshield spray also continues on it's own until the tank is empty so i had no choice but to disconnect it.

I had to pull the wiper fuse to avoid the wipers/sprayers starting up on their own. It kinda sucks to have to stop the car in the rain to replace the fuse in order to avoid my demise at the hands of low visibility. I have to avoid rainy days now altogether.

My dealer told me it was a wiper motor short-out. I bought a new motor, installed it, and found out (not really to my surprise) that they were wrong... again. As usual their solution was the most expensive possible.

I have followed a few wiper related threads. I have cleaned the udders and no change. I am assuming that the short is a relay or the toggle handle itself? I'm not sure if there is a relay so i'm thinking the next step is replacing the entire toggle unit.

Anyone had this problem before?

In the mean time, Rain X the windshield so it can bead water off. Yes, it really does work!

Thanks for the tip i didnt think about that, i forgot that my dad uses that for his car.

As for checking the connector/switch are we talking removing the entire steering wheel or just the shroud? Or even just looking up under near the pedals?

wiper problems

I have about the same trouble with mine they would not quit working til I took the fuse out, replaced the motor twice that wasn't it now I am going to replace the switch that someone suggested for me to do I hope that fixes it. I can hear the motor running when the switch is off could it have a short in it? I bought this car from a dealer and he told me everything worked and I trusted him. He had the fuse pulled out when I bought the car I thought it just needed a fuse I put the fuse in and it wouldn't stop. I don't know how people sleep at night when they can just lie to someone like that.

If you've replaced the wiper motor and still have the problem, I'd suggest the switch, though I'm no mechanic by any definition. We do have some excellent resources here and hopefully they'll make an appearance soon.

Now... as for that dealer... anyone that dishonest should be reported immediately to the Better Business Bureau in your area. You may not be able to force him to cover the repair but you can certainly warn others of his dishonesty and shady dealings. PRONTO!

:wJane Ann

wiper problem

I really see this is a great site for information and I am going to take the advice about the switch. As far as the dealer goes I called and he was supposed to call me back and I see why he wouldn't. I was really angry at this dealer I am from Tn and I drove all the way to Florida in a storm and back to get this car. Before I left to go the lady at the dealership told me she wouldn't let me drive all the way down there if it wasn't a good car. I have regreted it ever since. There is nothing that I can do THE LORD will get vegenance for me. Thank You very much for the info.

Before you go out for that switch, test yours....I've replaced various switches on my '84 and found that if you replace some without testing it first, it becomes costly ;)

wiper problem

Thank you for the input I have already did what you are talking about I replaced the motor twice on it because they thought the first one was faulty so I had another put on it did the same thing so probably wasn't even the motor so I bought a motor I didn't need plus the labor to have it installed. I picked up the switch yesterday I think I will have my friend from the chrysler place take it with him and tell him to check the continuity like you suggested before he installs it. I have worked for dealerships before and I know they will take advantage of people that don't have a clue about what's wrong with their car. Especially older women I am not that old but I don't have a clue to what is wrong with the wipers. I don't mean to offend anyone at any dealerships I just know about the ones I have worked with. You have to be careful. I have been friends with this man for 30 years and I know he won't put anything on I don't need. THANKS SO MUCH. THIS SITE IS JUST GREAT FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME AT LEAST WHEN WE TELL A MECHANIC SOMETHING HE MAY THINK WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. HA HA.:happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom