Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Z needs help! Electrical problem!!!

X

xtremejimmy

So lately, i've been noticing I have an electrical problem. (Just surfaced about 2-3 weeks ago). When i go to start the car sometimes and put the key to the on position, it seems that not much electricity is going to the gauges or something (like if it has a bad connection?), and then it goes fine. Hard to start sometimes because i hear the clack clack clack (solenoid of starter>), but then it starts after numerous tries. Now, a new problem surfaced, in which im assuming is related to this whole issue at hand. When im driving, at random times, the car just stops running. For no apparent reason. Just cruising at a constant speed, just cuts. Its happened to me 3 times already in the past week. So far, I checked the starter cables (cleaned them and tightened them). Checked the terminals on the battery (cleaned and reapplied firmly). What else can it be? It also says "charge system fault" sometimes at startup.

My first guess would be that you need a new battery. Otherwise, you should check the operation of the alternator. Being not too bright myself, I'd take the car to a decent dealer & let them check for codes that have been set.

I already replaced the battery with a new optima red top battery, and still the same issue occurs.

So lately, i've been noticing I have an electrical problem. (Just surfaced about 2-3 weeks ago). When i go to start the car sometimes and put the key to the on position, it seems that not much electricity is going to the gauges or something (like if it has a bad connection?), and then it goes fine. Hard to start sometimes because i hear the clack clack clack (solenoid of starter>), but then it starts after numerous tries. Now, a new problem surfaced, in which im assuming is related to this whole issue at hand. When im driving, at random times, the car just stops running. For no apparent reason. Just cruising at a constant speed, just cuts. Its happened to me 3 times already in the past week. So far, I checked the starter cables (cleaned them and tightened them). Checked the terminals on the battery (cleaned and reapplied firmly). What else can it be? It also says "charge system fault" sometimes at startup.
unplug the ground connections on the frame near the front of the engine and check for corrosion. check this website for a picture. http://www.ccwp.org/pages/news_motorman.shtml#C5 Throwing Codes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom