Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery electrical component

ddahlgren

Corvette
91 Dark Green Coupe
While working on another thing the previous owner 'fixed' I stumbled across this and i have no clue what it does and rather certain it is not a GM piece. Could it be an alarm of some sort or car starter? There was an unidentified key fob in the consile that I paid no attention to to be honest. The link below has a pic of it that is hi res so I would not click it with dial up..
Dave

http://sites.google.com/site/mycorvetteproject/Home/20081206_0059.JPG

The two yellow things are inline fuses. Looks like two power taps going somewhere in the car. You can try pulling the fuses and see what doesn't work anymore.

I know they were fuses that was obvious the large relay or solenoid at the bottom with the mass of all orange wires that disappear. In looking at the FSM and spotting two wires that go through from under the dash I am thinking it is used to power the speakers connected to the radio that does not work.. Kind of like the code 32 I got for EGR when to test it and no hose from the manifold to soleniod. Everything this guy touched if a bailing wire silver tape work around rather than repair. This winter will have it in the shop for and extended repair all the screwed up things.. Was planning on doing intake headers and cam but might not have the time and money for that by the time I fix everything else..:ugh
Dave

Thats the starter interrupt relay,I believe!! It's part of the factory security system!
There will be several Orange Fusible links on the battery side of it!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Thanks for the quick replay.. It looked a bit home made..LOL.. But if it belongs there then will let it be.. If found it when trying to figure out why the door gap did not line up perfectly.. It has the wrong battery that is about 1/4 inch too wide and prevent pushing the panel in the correct distance.. Once I get this thing in my shop for the winter I am sure to have 2 dozen more issues..
Dave

Now you have me thinking how reliable is the system? Meaning has it ever got someone stuck with a no start no run while on the road? I would assume if there is a simple way to either disarm or bypass it easily then it is not very secure..:eyerole
Dave

Now you have me thinking how reliable is the system? Meaning has it ever got someone stuck with a no start no run while on the road? I would assume if there is a simple way to either disarm or bypass it easily then it is not very secure..:eyerole
Dave
Thats only a small part of it!!:D And believe me the V.A.T.S. system has left people out on the road,or stuck somewhere!!:thumb
And will make a thief,Jump through hoops to steal your car,if he has about 3-4 hours!!:L:L:L

:D:D:D

Or leave me stuck for 3 or 4 hours..LOL..:rotfl I will have to look and see where the horn wires are because if they can be cut what is the point of a silent alarm??? I think this sounds like one of those things to keep honest people honest and if someone wants to steal the car it is gone.. A flat bed truck and 3 minutes or less and see you.. From reading it does not lok like movement will set it off like a more modern car.. Or will it? If someone backs into it or takes the window out will it go off? Hey they gould either drag it onto a truck r put wheel dollies under it and hook it to a wrecker.. Deal with the vats stuff later or part it out.. I am thinking mine is a daily driver with an L98.. I love the car but not a collectors car by any means.. and isured for what I have in it as well.
Dave

The relay itself may be OE but the wires connecting to it are not. GM does not use that type of inline fuse holder and it doesn't use the crimp-on aftermarket wire connectors (the once with the blue plastic shields).

I'll guess that a previous owner wired something into the car (an aftermarket security system) that needed to draw power from that relay.

I'd pull the fuses and see what happens. Also, you can try putting a fresh battery in that fob you found and then press its buttons.

I am lucky or unlucky enough to have everything from the window sticker to the invoices when the car was picked up by the original owner in NJ.. There is a reciept for an alarm system.. sound like it might be it?? If so I don't need another undocumented layer of we can't get home..:L
Dave

That fob might be for a security system. Might even have remote start in with it. Is there a brand name on the fob ?
If nothing else can you post a picture of the fob. Those kind of inline fuses do look like what I have seen in aftermarket remote starts.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom