Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery Stain

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
This isn't really a Corvette question, but I would appreciate the advice of all my friends here.

When I bought my Vette, there was a stain on the carpet under the driver's seat like coffee or chocolate milk. I cleaned it off as best I could, and then forgot about it as it was not normally seen. It was all dry.

Today I was retrieving a can of brake fluid that I had bought and tossed temporarily under the driver's seat. Now, let's not get all honked off on the fluid - the can is still sealed and full.

Anyhow, the outside of the can was covered with a sticky, brown substance. It smelled like coffee or chocolate, or perhaps vanilla. It was distinctly brown, just like chocolate.

So I look under the seat and it is really wet and sticky - tons of this stuff, whatever it is. It took buckets of water and rags and almost a full roll of paper towels to get most of it up - hopefully the carpet is drying as we "speak".

What was it? Nobody drinks ANYTHING in her, my wife does not, and it hasn't been in any shop recently that they might have had a coffee in unless I was right there. I am stumped.

Ideas anybody?

Bob

Chances are that the stuff that had been spilled soaked into the seat foam. Over time the stuff will leech out and drop on the carpet or in this case, the can.

I would bet that the seat foam is rotted due to mildew from the coffee/choclate.

c4cruiser said:
Chances are that the stuff that had been spilled soaked into the seat foam. Over time the stuff will leech out and drop on the carpet or in this case, the can.

I would bet that the seat foam is rotted due to mildew from the coffee/choclate.
Good guess - thank you, but no prize. I have the seat cushion out and there is no stain or chocolate at all.

Bob

DRTH VTR said:
Coolant from the heater core?

Nope - 'nuther good guess. It's not green, very distinctly brown, just like chocolate milk. No trail to the heater or firewall, and nothing wrong with my system or cooling. Doesn't smell like anti-freeze.

Bob

Where is the gearbox for the power seat? could it be a leak in the gearbox?

Glenn
:w

Brown Stuff

If you haven't been able to find anything that could cause the problem from the top surface of the carpet, have you tried pulling the carpet to find out what's under the carpet? It could be a damaged floor pan that's allowing road crud to get onto the carpet. I found a damaged area in my footwell caused by some careless mechanic that put a hoist pad or floor jack in the wrong place.

STW :w

Have you had any real close calls with other cars or solid objects lately at high speed? ;)

G Winter said:
Where is the gearbox for the power seat? could it be a leak in the gearbox?

Glenn
Another good one. Nope. My "cheapie" has a manual passenger seat.

Thanks, Bob

Hot Rod Roy said:
If you haven't been able to find anything that could cause the problem from the top surface of the carpet, have you tried pulling the carpet to find out what's under the carpet? It could be a damaged floor pan that's allowing road crud to get onto the carpet. I found a damaged area in my footwell caused by some careless mechanic that put a hoist pad or floor jack in the wrong place.

STW :w

If I am going to pull the carpet, I am going to replace them all - old and worn - just haven't had the chance to even think about that work.

But, she was up on the lift just a couple of weeks ago and we pretty throughly went over the underside - nothing obvious. Also, the brown definitely smells like its organic - some kind of food or drink product.

Thanks, Bob

Latest Update

I went out this morning to open the windows up to continue drying out. All seems nice and dry underneath the seat, so if it was something leaking, it ain't leakin' now! We did drive for about 1/2 hour last night.

Bob

Maybe you need to quit hiding your chocolate bars from the wife under the seat. :rotfl

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom