Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MYSTERY START PROBLEM SOLVED

1965RRR

Corvette
1965 Rally Red Roadster
SOLUTION -
Many thanks to all of you who sent suggestions for solving my problem. I checked out every one.
It seems that starter heat soak was the culprit even with a newly rebuilt heavy duty starter.
I installed a permanent magnet gear reduction starter, also known as a high torque mini starter and all seems to be fine.
Best wishes for a great weekend and remember those who paid the ultimate price to keep us safe!

PROBLEM -
My C2 is a 1965 327/350 4-speed. At first, every once in a while when turning the ignition key to start, nothing happened. However the next turn always started the engine. Eventually the engine would not start after many attempts. I had the starter rebuilt, but the same problem continued sporatically. I replaced the battery cables and both ground cables. I thought I had it licked, starting successfully many times until yesterday. After about an hour of driving, we stopped for a snack and the car would not start. I had to get several guys to give me a push while I popped the clutch. Normally the car starts on the first turn every time. When I returned home, the car started 5 times in a row. ???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just curious but does the reduction gear starter turn the engine over at appx. the same speed as a normal starter?

I've never seen the Chev version but I know most of the old Chryslers used a reduction gear starter. Those old starters sounded like they were spinning at warp speed but, after the reduction, they turned the crank per normal.

-Mac

I don't have the specs, but I have heard that the normal starter cranking is about 200 rpm and the reduction gear starter can produce 10x that much which can easily start a 18:1 compression engine.
As far as my 11:1 327/350, when my normal starter was not affected by heat soak, the engine always started on the first turn. The same occurs with the gear reduction starter, but the high torque is very noticeable when you turn the key.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom