Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Navigation Disc Question

bobchess61

Corvette
2007 LS2 Coupe (Victory Red)
>>> I have an 07" Coupe, LS2, Z51, Level 3 option package. To update the Navigation Disc GM wants approx $220. Are there options to this?

Thanx :thumb

I haven't found any unless you find someone in your club that recently bought the latest disc for his/her car and will give (sell cheap) his previous disc that is newer than the one you currently have.

While it's convenient to have a GPS in the dashboard, I have found that the on-board GPS is not the most accurate (both my Dodge and my Vette take me around the block to go home) and are expensive in terms of both initial outlay and updates. My wife and I both tend to use our smartphones for GPS as they do a better job of mapping and can route you around traffic.

Navigation Disc

While it's convenient to have a GPS in the dashboard, I have found that the on-board GPS is not the most accurate (both my Dodge and my Vette take me around the block to go home) and are expensive in terms of both initial outlay and updates. My wife and I both tend to use our smartphones for GPS as they do a better job of mapping and can route you around traffic.

Thanks for the opinions >>> I'll keep my eye open for a used "newer than 07'" navigation disc.... bobchess61

ps question? >>> Can a "friends" newer than 07' GM Navigation Disc be downloaded into my system? ... and if so is there any probem with doing this?
eg copywrite issues?

Last edited:
The NAV system uses information on the NAV DVD to calculate routes, etc. Unless your friend will allow you to KEEP his disc in your system it won't work when you remove the DVD.
You may with his approval borrow his DVD for trips and then revert back to yours afterwards.

GM cheaped out with this Denso system, should have gone with Garmin.
My NAV system with the 2012 DVD won't even get me to my house. I've lived here for over 20 years and these roads have been here for even longer.
But the NAV system says: "Route Guidance Cannot Be provided in this area". THen it has the unmitigated GALL, upon me getting to my house, to say "You have arrived at your destination".
Why yes I have, NO THANKS to the Corvette NAV system. What a real honey bucket it is. (you pilots will know what a "honey bucket" is). LOL

BTW GM... Where is the CONSOLE Light I have on my 2 C4 Vettes?
Where are the courtesy TURN LIGHTS shining out to the left or right, whichever way I have my turn signal set?
Where are the rear SIDE LIGHTS I have on my C4's that come on along with the backup lights?
What the !!HE!! happened to the light dimmer being integrated with the brightness of the aforementioned piece of poop NAV system.
Speaking of the light dimmer..... I can turn them up so bright I need sunglasses to drive. But out on dark rural roads I CAN'T turn the IP lights down enough for my eyes to adjust so I can see the DEER running across in front of my Vette????
As said, no matter how I adjust all the IP lights the NAV system sits there fat, extremely DUMB and happy as it can be.

Long as I'm ranting..... the electrochrominicient (sp) rear view mirror does NOT dim enough for cars behind me not to BLIND me with their lights.
Can't that danged mirror be made to get DARKER??? I don't give a hoot what's behind me, that can take care of itself. But I WOULD like to be able to see what's ahead of me.

While I'm at it.... with all the engineering resources GM has none of them could come up with some way to install a DIPSTICK on the A6 transmission? Give me a major type break.

One more. The SEAT still rocks on my C6 JUST like the C5 seat did.

Come on GM. You can do better than this.

Whew!!!

07 ' Navigation System

The NAV system uses information on the NAV DVD to calculate routes, etc. Unless your friend will allow you to KEEP his disc in your system it won't work when you remove the DVD.
You may with his approval borrow his DVD for trips and then revert back to yours afterwards.

GM cheaped out with this Denso system, should have gone with Garmin.
My NAV system with the 2012 DVD won't even get me to my house. I've lived here for over 20 years and these roads have been here for even longer.
But the NAV system says: "Route Guidance Cannot Be provided in this area". THen it has the unmitigated GALL, upon me getting to my house, to say "You have arrived at your destination".
Why yes I have, NO THANKS to the Corvette NAV system. What a real honey bucket it is. (you pilots will know what a "honey bucket" is). LOL

BTW GM... Where is the CONSOLE Light I have on my 2 C4 Vettes?
Where are the courtesy TURN LIGHTS shining out to the left or right, whichever way I have my turn signal set?
Where are the rear SIDE LIGHTS I have on my C4's that come on along with the backup lights?
What the !!HE!! happened to the light dimmer being integrated with the brightness of the aforementioned piece of poop NAV system.
Speaking of the light dimmer..... I can turn them up so bright I need sunglasses to drive. But out on dark rural roads I CAN'T turn the IP lights down enough for my eyes to adjust so I can see the DEER running across in front of my Vette????
As said, no matter how I adjust all the IP lights the NAV system sits there fat, extremely DUMB and happy as it can be.

Long as I'm ranting..... the electrochrominicient (sp) rear view mirror does NOT dim enough for cars behind me not to BLIND me with their lights.
Can't that danged mirror be made to get DARKER??? I don't give a hoot what's behind me, that can take care of itself. But I WOULD like to be able to see what's ahead of me.

While I'm at it.... with all the engineering resources GM has none of them could come up with some way to install a DIPSTICK on the A6 transmission? Give me a major type break.

One more. The SEAT still rocks on my C6 JUST like the C5 seat did.

Come on GM. You can do better than this.

Whew!!!

Thanks for the information >>> Clearly, I have struggled with the system. I am not really very computer savvy > (just OK). However, my wife is fairly proficient with computers, smart phones and techy stuff. She has spent time with me on the system and also was frustrated. As I try to get thru the learning curve w/ this I'll just have to try to be patient and understand that it seems most others also are unhappy with the Navigation system. (I can read a map with a great deal of expertise however!)

Thanks again for the post.

bobchess61

>>> I have an 07" Coupe, LS2, Z51, Level 3 option package. To update the Navigation Disc GM wants approx $220. Are there options to this?

Thanx :thumb

Yeah you can save your money and buy a Garmin unit that works at Wal-Mart or do it the old fashioned way with a road map like I do.........I also carry the Garmin in my GS to get me to addresses....GM unit is junk....

07 ' Corvette Navigation

Yeah you can save your money and buy a Garmin unit that works at Wal-Mart or do it the old fashioned way with a road map like I do.........I also carry the Garmin in my GS to get me to addresses....GM unit is junk....

Thanks >>> Yeah >>> maps !!!

I have a disc you can have. I made the mistake of ordering a new disc since my own home didn't show up on the map. Needless to say, it didn't show up on the new disc either :mad
Not sure exactly which disc I have, It states "map data released as version 7.00" and "2010 Denso Corporation". My car is a 2011 GS, so I will assume it is a newer version than what you have.
I'll send it to you for free, just reimburse me on the shipping. You can PM me your address if you want it.

Disc

I have a disc you can have. I made the mistake of ordering a new disc since my own home didn't show up on the map. Needless to say, it didn't show up on the new disc either :mad
Not sure exactly which disc I have, It states "map data released as version 7.00" and "2010 Denso Corporation". My car is a 2011 GS, so I will assume it is a newer version than what you have.
I'll send it to you for free, just reimburse me on the shipping. You can PM me your address if you want it.

Plz email me at: bobchess61@yahoo.com

Thanks sempercoasty !!!

i have a disc you can have. I made the mistake of ordering a new disc since my own home didn't show up on the map. Needless to say, it didn't show up on the new disc either :mad
not sure exactly which disc i have, it states "map data released as version 7.00" and "2010 denso corporation". My car is a 2011 gs, so i will assume it is a newer version than what you have.
I'll send it to you for free, just reimburse me on the shipping. You can pm me your address if you want it.

thanks sempercoasty !!! Bc

I bought the newest version of the DVD from GM, it was expensive, like $200 but it was worth it as the outdated one didn't even have my house. I don't have any problems with it. It has yet to not take me where I want to go. It reconfigures if you miss a turn or decide you want to go another way and I love the directions in the HUD.

NAV for 07' Coupe

I bought the newest version of the DVD from GM, it was expensive, like $200 but it was worth it as the outdated one didn't even have my house. I don't have any problems with it. It has yet to not take me where I want to go. It reconfigures if you miss a turn or decide you want to go another way and I love the directions in the HUD.

I'm glad your new unit works as advertised >>> I now have a disc dated 2010 >>> which is upgraded from my 2006 original disc >>> more accurate data and my home address is included! >>>> (Thanks Again to Sempercoasty and CAC).

My son repaired my nav disc with peanut butter and a soft cloth. Just keep buffing and buffing till the scratches disappear. Then you can make a copy for backup.

Disc Repair / Copy

My son repaired my nav disc with peanut butter and a soft cloth. Just keep buffing and buffing till the scratches disappear. Then you can make a copy for backup.

I have not heard of that disc repair technique >>> Good idea on the copy >>> BC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom