Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a/c help...B0338 code won't clear!!

00C5Vert

Corvette
2000 Dark Blu/ Tan Conv.
My 2000 Vert is having problems. When I turn on the a/c (high) the majority of the air flow (warm) is coming from the defrost vent, some from the passenger side vents and hardly any from the driver's side vents. I pulled my DTC codes and the only HVAC code I get is B0338 H C (inside air temp sensor open). I tried clearing but it would not go away. It sounds to me like an actuator gone maybe. Before I take it to the dealer, is there any advice you guys can share? Greatly appreciated!! :w

My 2000 Vert is having problems. When I turn on the a/c (high) the majority of the air flow (warm) is coming from the defrost vent, some from the passenger side vents and hardly any from the driver's side vents. I pulled my DTC codes and the only HVAC code I get is B0338 H C (inside air temp sensor open). I tried clearing but it would not go away. It sounds to me like an actuator gone maybe. Before I take it to the dealer, is there any advice you guys can share? Greatly appreciated!! :w

DTC B0338 Inside Air Temperature Sensor Open

TifToGif

<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss1-545818">
Circuit Description

The inside air temperature sensor is located in the air outlet vent at the RH side of the steering column. In this position, it is exposed to the air that is present in the passenger compartment. This provides a sample of the inside air temperature to the sensor.
The sensor is a thermistor used to control the signal voltage at the HVAC Control Assembly. The HVAC Control Assembly supplies a reference voltage (about 5 volts internally) to the sensor and measures the voltage drop in the circuit to obtain a temperature signal. This signal is an input that tells the HVAC Control Assembly how much cooling or heating will be required for the passenger compartment. When the inside air temperature is cold, the thermistor resistance is high; therefore, the HVAC Control Assembly will receive a high signal voltage input. If the inside air temperature is hot, the thermistor resistance is low, the HVAC Control Assembly will receive a low signal voltage input.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss2-545818">Conditions for Setting the DTC

• With the ignition in the ON position, CKT 734 is checked continuously.
  • CKT 734 stays at 4.5 volts or higher.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss3-545818">Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The system will use 24°C (75°F) as a default value.
  • The HVAC Control Assembly stores a DTC B0338 in memory.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss4-545818">Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• Using the IPC clearing feature.
  • Using a scan tool.
  • A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the conditions for the fault is no longer present.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss5-545818">Diagnostic Aids

• If the DTC is a history or an intermittent. Try to perform the tests shown while "wiggling" wiring and connectors, this can often cause the malfunction to appear.
  • Visually inspect sensor connector and harness for damage, corrosion or water intrusion.
  • Check for adequate terminal tension, mis-routed harness, rubbed through wire insulation, and broken wire inside insulation.
  • The resistance value of the sensor must be close to the values given in the chart. If not the sensor is considered skewed and must be replaced.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=545818&evc=sm&pubid=180&cellId=48739&mspsdsubkey=923#ss1-545378">Test Description

The number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the diagnostic table.
  1. <LI value=3>Tests for the proper operation of the circuit in the high voltage range.
    <A name=TD04>
  2. Tests for the proper operation of the circuit in the low voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to voltage.
Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No
Did you perform the HVAC (CJ2) Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check
  1. <LI type=1>Install a scan tool. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. With a scan tool, observe the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter in the HVAC data list.
Does the scan tool indicate that the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter is within the specified range?
0.1-4.9 Volts
Go to Diagnostic Aids
Go to Step 3
  1. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition. <LI type=1>Disconnect the Inside Air Temp Sensor. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. With a scan tool, observe the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter.
Does the scan tool indicate that the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter is greater than the specified value?
4.9 Volts
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5
  1. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition. <LI type=1>Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the signal circuit of the Inside Air Temp Sensor and the ground circuit of the Inside Air Temp Sensor. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. With a scan tool, observe the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter.
Does the scan tool indicate that the Inside Air Temp Sensor parameter is less than the specified value?
0.1 Volts
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 6
Test the signal circuit of the Inside Air Temp Sensor for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 9
Test the signal circuit of the Inside Air Temp Sensor for a short to voltage, a high resistance, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 7
Test the ground circuit of the Inside Air Temp Sensor for a high resistance or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 9
Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the Inside Air Temp Sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 10
Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the HVAC Control Assembly. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 11
Replace the Inside Air Temp Sensor. Refer to Inside Air Temperature Sensor Replacement .
Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--
Replace the HVAC Control Assembly. Refer to Control Assembly Replacement .
Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--
  1. <LI type=1>Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?
--
Go to Step 2
System OK

Document ID# 545818
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

:thumb

I found my problem - After reading seveal threads I got the courage to pull the dash and take a look at the sensor. To my surprise the sensor was not connected. Once plugged in the B0338 code cleared when reset. The HVAC problem turned out to be a leaking battery problem. Once I cleaned ( baking soda and water) and refinished the ares below the battery tray I found vacuum lines that had been destroyed by the acid. I replaced the broken lines and throughly cleaned and rewrapped all the wires. Retested the system and it works just fine blowing very cold and I can now control the vents via the HVAC unit. Keep posting those great threads guys!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom