Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a door measurement from someone please

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I am in the middle of body work on my '73 and I am working on getting the drivers side door mirror mounting holes repaired.

Apparently the mirror has been broken off at some point in the past and has a few different holes in the door that have been filled in with new ones made for the mirror. It appears that someone moved forward a bit and drilled a new hole to get into the metal part under the skin and put a self threading screw in to hold the mirror tight. I am assuming that there were holes drilled into the metal under the fiberglass (at the factory) that the well nuts passed through and the previous owner didn't want to fix it right so he made new holes and filled the old ones. My passenger door has big holes for the well nuts, on the front drivers side the hole for the mirror is only about 1/8" in diameter and goes into metal below the fiberglass. No way am I gonna be able to get a well nut in there w/out drilling a bigger hole so I want to make sure I drill in the right place.

I'm probably not making much sense here but what I need is the measurement form say, the center of the lock to each of the mirror mounting screws on the drivers door. The dimensions are a little different between my passengers and drivers door so I want to be sure I am going to drill in the right place to find the holes in the metal beneath for the well nut to go into.

thanks

I am in the middle of body work on my '73 and I am working on getting the drivers side door mirror mounting holes repaired.

Apparently the mirror has been broken off at some point in the past and has a few different holes in the door that have been filled in with new ones made for the mirror. It appears that someone moved forward a bit and drilled a new hole to get into the metal part under the skin and put a self threading screw in to hold the mirror tight. I am assuming that there were holes drilled into the metal under the fiberglass (at the factory) that the well nuts passed through and the previous owner didn't want to fix it right so he made new holes and filled the old ones. My passenger door has big holes for the well nuts, on the front drivers side the hole for the mirror is only about 1/8" in diameter and goes into metal below the fiberglass. No way am I gonna be able to get a well nut in there w/out drilling a bigger hole so I want to make sure I drill in the right place.

I'm probably not making much sense here but what I need is the measurement form say, the center of the lock to each of the mirror mounting screws on the drivers door. The dimensions are a little different between my passengers and drivers door so I want to be sure I am going to drill in the right place to find the holes in the metal beneath for the well nut to go into.

thanks
Yeah,I know what your talking about!!PM Cruzer99 and ask him to go out in his garage and measure where the mirror is at on my 69!! It's a original unmolested car!! Or if you would like I can PM you his phone # :upthumbs

thanks Junk. I'll pm him and see if he can get it for me. Need to go work on some Christmas lights right now anyway...

I'll taks a look in the morning and get back to you......OK?

that'll be great. thanks

somewhere I have the template that you lay on the door to drill holes for the passenger side mirror addition. The mirrors were moved back at some point early in the C3 run. My 68 has a few extra holes in the drivers side that wil be filled in time. If I find it I'll let you know.

HI. From the center of the door lock to the REAR of the mirror base is 24 inches. From the top of the door to the top of the mirror base is 1 inch. Hope this helps! Dave

Thanks for all the replies.

Cruzer99, that pic is very helpful, I hadn't thought of measuring form the front, it'll give me an additional check, thanks a bunch!

DaveInTexas, that's the dimension I was asking for. Thank you very much!

Bossvette, I wonder why they would move them back, if you find that info please post it. Would be interesting to see how it compares to a '74 and a '69. It would also be interesting to see how your 68 compares to the 76 from ctr of lock to the back of the mirror.

If I can figure out my ftp software again since reloading my OS I'll try to put up a pic showing my door mirror dilemma.
again, thanks you all for the help !!

...The mirrors were moved back at some point early in the C3 run. My 68 has a few extra holes in the drivers side that wil be filled in time.....

Correct. Early '68s have the mirrors much closer to the leading edge of the door. Later cars have the mirrors moved further back.

68008.jpg

This is a studio clay, but it shows the early position of the mirror.

:)

Those mirrors are definitely forward of mine. I actually like it better. Thanks for posting, that's a nice looking '68 even if it is a clay model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom